Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 188
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1240 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ThisIsTheShow: yes I have 2 others but they don't exist!

TNG: no need to "apologize" for medals which show "character"
Re the "P" mark, if like Franklin Mint products it would indicate PROOF.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8619 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, P for "Proof" so that's good to know.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13679 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Automatic Tokens)
Arcade Token - Tech Town Famous Players.

Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado, I find the arcade and general game tokens to be quite interesting. They seem to be, along with transportation tokens, some of the only tokens which had very recent roles in our lives. Am I missing some?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13679 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Local Dollar Tokens)

1977 1 Dollar - Victoria, British Columbia.
Commemorative issue
Craigdarroch Castle.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8619 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions as usual! Thanks!
I've been busy and have quite a few new things to post in the near future.

1940's Red Goose Shoes Premium Money Set

These tokens were also made in fiber, in different colors, probably during the World War II when metals were being used in the war effort.
Here is a nice set, which I think is complete that either preceded the war or minted shortly afterwards or both but no later than 1950.

I have my doubts as to the trade in value being equal in cents for the denominations of these tokens. When these were made, the amount these state would be a lot of money if equal in trade for cash.
Perhaps one would get so much off the price of shoes for so many "points" instead.
They may have been redeemable in discount or used as play money. I am unsure?

"The Red Goose Shoe Company of St. Louis, Missouri, began selling shoes to pioneer families headed west in 1869. The company's name was originally Gieseke-D'Oench-Hayes, after its founders, but when the company became advertising conscious in the early 1900s, they changed the name.
Gieseke is German slang for "goose" so the goose image came naturally. The red color came later when, during the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904, some stock boys painted the goose on the cartons red. The head of the company liked the idea, and so Red Goose Shoes was trademarked in 1906.

In 1911, the Roberts, Johnson & Rand Shoe Company merged with the Peters Shoe Company to form the International Shoe Company in St. Louis. Red Goose was swallowed up by the International Shoe in the first half of the 20th Century. International Shoe dropped Red Goose. And, by 1953, International Shoe Company changed its name to Interco and bought Florsheim Shoes."
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1240 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG: those are great! Wonderful showing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8619 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1936 Texas Centennial Red Goose Shoes Medal

Today certain brand sneakers are viewed as a status symbol for both kids and some adults. They cost hundreds of dollars and wearing them in certain places could put you at risk.
I do remember a simpler time when I went to school. Penny loafers, wing tips, and hush puppies were just footwear. You weren't allowed sneakers in school because they left white skid marks on the hallway and classroom floors. Sneakers were for gym class or if you were on the basketball team and your beat up gym sneakers became your play shoes for at home.
I wore them til they had holes in the bottom and then maybe just a while longer.

Long ago, before sneakers were everyday footwear there were Buster Browns and numerous other brands. All cleverly advertised in magazines for Mom to see and there were small promotional toys like "clickers", "top spinners" whistles and banks.
One slogan for a pair of Red Goose Shoes was "Half The Fun of Having Feet".
I'm still trying to figure out what half the other fun was.

1936 Texas Centennial Poll-Parrot Shoes Medal

There are different accounts of the origins of the "Poll Parrot" shoe brand. In one version, the brand was named after a certain "Paul Parrott", who had been manufacturing shoes under the Pol Parrot name in St. Louis since 1922, and had been bought out by International Shoe Company in 1928.

Ted Hake, author of Hake's Guide to Advertising Collectibles, © 1992, Wallace Homestead Book Company, tells the story of how the Poll-Parrot Shoe Brand name was conceived. It seems the owner of the original Parrot Shoe Company, Paul Parrot, kept a pet parrot in his store. The bird inspired a salesman to suggest the name Poll-Parrot Shoes as a brand name. Obviously Paul Parrot agreed and the name was copyrighted in 1925.

According to Old Time Radio Researchers, Paul Parrot sold his shoe business to the International Shoe Company that already had the Red Goose and Weatherbird Shoes. The company sold men's women's and children's shoes and sponsored the "Cruise of the Poll-Parrot" a syndicated children's serial in 1937.
Howdy Doody teamed up with Poll-Parrot Shoes advertising.

The colorful red, green and gold parrot with the words "Poll-Parrot Shoes for Boys and Girls", became a popular logo throughout the 1930s 40s, and 50s. The shoe stores that sold the Poll-Parrot Shoes often had painted plaster or chalk- ware displays of the parrot figures in the stores.

While there are a number of other medals out there advertising children's shoes, I have found three advertised on and sharing this 1936 Texas Centennial medal reverse. They are Weather-Bird Shoes, Red Goose Shoes and Poll-Parrot Shoes.
I think that would be considered a complete 1936 Texas Centennial set, having all three.
I have posted my first of these three, Weather-Bird Shoes earlier in this thread here.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=144#3010609

1936 Texas Centennial Souvenir Medal Set

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/20/2020 2:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8619 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 999fine. Hope all is well for you!
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1240 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, my, TNG. Being a Texan I had to stand up when I saw these and read your notes :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1240 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - my little batch of slabs arrived today. Will photo and post as time permits :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13679 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Local Dollar Tokens)
1983 1 Dollar - Victoria, British Columbia

Commemorative issue
The Thermopylę

Valued Member
Canada
438 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Victoria token.I just got two of these with different ships than yours on them. Pleasant to see another collector with my collecting type tokens.
Page: of 188  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05