Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 186
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a few tokens in slabs last week.

I am not a slab collector but these seemed really nice for the price.
Will try to show one every day(or so.)

CHRYSLER AIRFLOW

Attributed to the Century of Progress but without C of P logo.

Reverse shows a 1924 sedan from 10 years earlier, the first year of the Chrysler brand.

The car was a lovely piece of automobile sculpture as seen in this pic from the net.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice Dorado Canadian Local Dollar & Delicious Airflow!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Airflow is a beautiful car.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a lot of 8 Pony Express medals.
Here is the "runt" of the litter.

1970s Looped St. Joseph Museum and Stables
Pony Express Souvenir Fob

Most likely minted around or post 1970, as that is when the museum was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. With loop this measures 33 mm in height and 28 mm across. Perhaps someone knows a bit more about this fob. I would think it could be bought at sometime in the museum as a souvenir.

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 8 medal lot I added a duplicate for my Heraldic Art Medal collection.
1960 Heraldic Art Medal
Pony Express

I have 37 in all, the new Pony Express a duplicate Battle of Lake Erie

and my main collection of 35 different ones.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/21/2020 3:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had recently added a pair but 5 Other medals have joined the stable.
3 bronze, one with an envelope and two silver.
1960 Pony Express Centennial Assn. Bronze Medal HK-583
1960 Pony Express Centennial Assn. Silver Medal HK-582

The Pony Express Association is evidently still active to this day, having annual "re-runs" by volunteer riders to re-enact the actual ride of the Pony Express that lasted 18 months between April 1860 and October 1861.
The completion of telegraph lines ended the historical feat of carrying the mail from Missouri to California in only 10 days by horse and rider.

The National Pony Express Centennial Association was chartered in 1957 in Utah as a non-profit corporation, with it's only purpose, to sponsor a 1960 re-run and to perpetuate the history of the Pony Express.
The Board of Governors were from California, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming, the eight states through which Express ran.
President Dwight D Eisenhower agreed to be the Honorary Chairman of this Board in 1957.

The 1960 re-run was financed principally by the sale of 1,000 letters carried by re-run riders, Official First Day Covers and U.S. Mint Medals.
Official Medals such as my bronze one above that came with the original un-numbered envelope were authorized by Congress as "national medals". There were far more bronze medals minted, perhaps 50,000 to 100,000 bronze were struck of the half million authorized. Only 5,000 silver were struck of which I own which is No. 2947 on the envelope.

It was designed by J. A. Links and struck at The Philadelphia Mint.
The obverse shows the Pony Express founders with conjoined busts of William Hepburn Russell, Alexander Majors, and William Bradford Waddell. The reverse portrays the famous watercolor by Herman Hansen, Pony Express Horse and Rider that he painted in 1900.

My other two

and

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - I certainly appreciate your sharing your collections with us. Definitely saving me a ton of money!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the last of the lot of 8 Pony Express medals and the main reason I bought it.
1961 Pony Express Termination Centennial
Silver Medal HK-588

The Gold Rush in the mid-1800s necessitated a fast mail service. The Pony Express was developed as an alternative way for the mail to cross the North American continent.
Using many mounted riders, on a route from St. Joseph Missouri to Sacramento California the founders of the Pony Express established a company for moving the mail that was faster and more reliable than stagecoaches.

The Pony Express only operated for a year and a half—from April 1860 to November 1861.
The end of the Pony Express is directly related to the telegraph. The completion of the telegraph system and the termination of the Express occurred within a one-month period.

1961 Pony Express Termination Centennial silver and bronze medals were issued by The National Pony Express Centennial Association, Salt Lake City and were designed by Roy J. Olsen. Authorized by 86th Congress and struck at Philadelphia Mint.
Only 3,000 silver medals minted and sold for $4.50 when released for sale in 1961. 15,000 Bronze medals of the same design were minted and sold for $1.50 each the same year.

The Coming and Going of the Pony Express
by Frederic Remington

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/21/2020 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New to My Americana Collection

Obverse:
OLD PEPPERSASS
MT. WASHINGTON N.H.
COG RAILWAY

Reverse:
MT. WASHINGTON
COG RAILWAY

I've found little about this medal. According to Numista it is made of brass (evidence of gilt) and measures 32.8 mm.

Undated, the Yale University Art Gallery site shows an image and dates it to ca. 1900. The occasional medal can be found pictured online.

Additional information is certainly welcome from those with better searching abilities than I.

Edited by 999fine
02/22/2020 5:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13408 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Transit Tokens)

Token - Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission.
Years 1993-2008.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Yooo tooob of Peppersass I found.
Last day it ran, it crashed killing one and injuring others.
Ee0DrCcU518
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - thanks for the info add.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8589 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A note on the post on the previous page.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=179#3157102
One (100) of the Red Goose Shoes token set is rotated on the reverse (I guess) about 110 degrees. They all arrived as expected.
My favorite album!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13408 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Local Dollar Tokens)

1985 1 Dollar - Folklorama Manitoba, Winnipeg.

Commemorating the year of the youth.

Page: of 186 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05