Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 188
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions these last few pages.

Madame Hendren doll Good Luck token.

If you guys know when these are from, I am interested, because I could not date them exactly. The first Madame Hendren doll was 1915 I believe.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your Madame Hendren token is one of many "Don't Worry Club " tokens that shared the swastika lucky charm reverse. Sometimes the swastika was reversed. No later than 1933, as that is when Hitler came on the scene, and the swastika lost favor.
http://blog.robertbrucestewart.com/...ovement.html
and
https://www.brianrxm.com/comdir/cns...orryclub.htm
might help too.
I have seen yours with both reverses.
https://tokencatalog.com/display_re...043;Listings
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/24/2020 08:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links TNG
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13633 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
* Tokens * (Canada - Local Dollar Tokens)

City Of Gardens.
1986 1 Dollar - Victoria, British Columbia
Kwakiutl Killer Whale.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JESSE JAMES / MERAMEC CAVERNS

A Good Luck Souvenir from Stanton Mo.

A late-night impulse buy, yea it was cheap.
Medal production is pretty cheap too, not much detail to admire.

For my Americana Collection

I need to go to bed earlier in the evening.

Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8443 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good things come in small sizes sometimes.

Or, as Jacques Dutronc might say, "mini, mini, mini!"

Lovely mini-medal of Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III, Emperor of France. Probably ca. 1853-1854, for the royal wedding. Gilt over base metal. This bust (with no legend) is seen on other similar tiny medals of the era, with different reverses; and this reverse is found matched with a similar obverse bust but with an obverse legend and often many die cracks. Loop for ribbon, but no ribbon.

AV over copper or white metal. 1.0 gram, 13.0mm

Nice prooflike appearance. The gilding is almost fully intact.

At the other extreme, some of the wedding medals exceeded 55mm. The largest one I could find measured a whopping 63 mm. (!)

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:54 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Presidents month. Lets be Honest!
1961 Abraham Lincoln Presidential Bronze Medal
Medallic Art Co

1961 George Washington Presidential Bronze Medal
Medallic Art Co

When I was a kid we had two "Red Letter Days" instead of "Presidents Day" for these two guys in February.
February 12 for Lincoln and February 22 for Washington.

The penny candy store sold two wild cherry suckers on a string that month in honor of George Washington who cut down his father's cherry tree as a kid. They were awesome and a good deal too.
I can't find a picture so I made my own.

Later the string became green plastic sticks and a little easier to break and share half with someone else.

The real myth goes that Washington was six years old he received a hatchet as a gift and damaged his father's cherry tree. When his father discovered what he had done, he became angry and confronted him.
Young George bravely said, "I cannot tell a lie, I did cut it with my hatchet."
Washington's father embraced him and rejoiced that his son's honesty was worth more than a thousand trees.

"Honest Abe" on managing a country store, did his very best in everything that he undertook for others.
One night, after closing the store, he counted over his cash. He discovered he had taken a few cents from a customer more than he should have in making change. He left the store, and walked a long distance to make things right.
Another time, arriving for work he found one of the weights was left on the scales by mistake. He shorted a woman the night before when he weighed out a package of tea for a woman. He thought how he had given her too little for her money.
Right away, he weighed out the tea she was due, and carried it to her. She was surprised and did not know that she was short in the amount of her purchase.

And I remember having a couple round cans of Lincoln logs in our toy box.

To be honest, I bought three out of four Presidential medals in one fell swoop to make my second set of the Mt. Rushmore Rock Stars.
Theodore Roosevelt got mixed up with this one who will be a giveaway at the Thursday Coin Club meeting.
I was a bit upset, but the seller made an honest mistake and wants nothing for FDR.

Not a fan of FDR.
The seller is making it right and sending Teddy Roosevelt in the morning and I still have to hunt down that Thomas Jefferson. (again!)
I wrote about it here last time I was doing this set.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=47#2736403
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/25/2020 01:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good things come in small sizes sometimes.

paralyse, Very nice!!

TNG Those are some beauties right there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Bicentennial Wagon Trail Pilgrimage
Pennsylvania Bronze Medal

The Bicentennial Wagon Train Pilgrimage began a journey from Blaine, Washington on June 8, 1975 concluding at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania on July 4, 1976.
The wagon train pilgrimage traced the original covered wagon trade and transportation routes across the United States encompassing the Bozeman Trail, California Trail, Gila Trail, Great Wagon Road, Mormon Trail, Natchez Trace Trail, Old Post Road, Old Spanish Trail, Oregon Trail, Santa Fe Trail, and Wilderness Road.

I remember the Bicentennial quite well as I was fresh out of the navy in June. The town was painted red white and blue, right down to the fire hydrants! Hard to believe our 250th Anniversary is just a few years off already. We sure had patriotism in 76.
I hope it is renewed even stronger in 2026.

They came through center town Chambersburg Pennsylvania

Here's a short video. Nobody is carrying a cell phone.
UlKeqZA3u5g
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mustard Seed Pocket Coin

I don't know how old this is. I have a personal reason why I got it and I have had a very old one in a glass ball for a charm or necklace for many years.

I had a little faith and made a significant discounted offer and it was accepted.
When time comes to sell all my coins and medals, I'll have a little faith too.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG I am glad that you have faith. I do as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960 EAST TINCUP DOLLAR
So Called Dollar HK-585

These were issued privately to commemorate the centennial celebration in Colorado of The Pony Express, and sold as souvenirs at "East Tincup" in Colorado, a replica of mining town of 1880's.
It opened in 1960 as a tourist attraction and was located 12 miles west of Denver on route U.S. 40.
Designed by W. M. Weber, Jr. who was the operator of East Tincup.
1,000 of these were struck by Wendell-Northwestern and sold for $1.00.

I recently picked up my fourth Shaving Permit, The other three are from Buffalo Bill Cody Days in Leavenworth Kansas and are somewhat related because some historians say Buffalo Bill did ride for the Pony Express, and so did Buffalo Bill. Others say he did not.
I'm still a little kid at heart and like to believe everything "Old West".
It's more fun that way.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/26/2020 11:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG Was the shave permit to raise money for the celebration? Could you only shave if you had one?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8615 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand, these buttons were most popular during & sold to help fund events in the years between 1950 and the 1970's. There were "Brothers of the Brush", "Sisters of the Swish", Shaver, Shave or "Shaving Permits" and "Cosmetic Permits" you could find at Centennial celebrations of towns or counties and sometimes local fairs.
Depending on the locale, if you didn't have the permit you had to pay a fine.
"Brothers of the Brush" would exempt a person from being fined a couple or few dollars if caught at the event with a beard, and "Shaving Permits" would do just the opposite, where it was mandatory to have facial hair for the Centennial. Men found clean shaven would be fined without a "Shaver Permit".
The women did not escape the rules, as they either had to keep free of wearing cosmetic make-up or had to be all prettied up.
If you look up these on eBay, there are many places who enforced this over the years, but only in fun and most anyone would pay up one way or the other. There is still a smattering of these that are recent.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/27/2020 11:43 am
Page: of 188 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05