Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 188
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1950 Paul Revere
American Commemorative Society
Bronze Medal HK-506

I watched this medal for well over a year, maybe closer to two. This one comes from Barcelona, Spain.
It ended many times without a bid, would disappear, and then become relisted again.
Tried communicating with the seller, even translating my message to Spanish but no replies.
Euro converted to more in US Dollars. I told myself, I'm not paying over $50.00 shipped for it.

Finally, the Euro dropped below that last week, but then rose the last couple days where the final price was $41.29 + $8.93 shipping which is $50.22.
Then to my surprise, eBay added $2.48 tax.
I have never paid international sales tax until today. I hope the IRS audits eBay. LOL
They are so inconsistent charging sales tax.

Anyway, another one popped up unexpectedly for sale at the same time last week in the US for $459.00 and I checked completed sales as usual and none have sold. I had to buy it because if someone else saw that same medal listed for $459.00 and found mine at 10% of what he is asking, this would be gone.

There are three issues in circa 1950 by American Commemorative Society, trade name of late Charles F. Smith, Boston, MA.
These were designed and engraved by J. R. Pinches, and probably struck by Pinches in London.

They are:
HK-506 Paul Revere Dollar
HK-506a Telephone Diamond Jubilee Dollar
HK-506b Middlebury College Dollar

Charles F. Smith is the same person who issued the eight 1947 and four 1948 c.smith So-called Half Dollars and I have a set of each, and a duplicate set of 1948.
I have no interest in forking out several hundred dollars to complete this 3 medal set and I did get the most elusive of the three here.

Charles F. Smith also has issued a Benjamin Franklin Kite medal, I have not seen that but that does interest me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/27/2020 1:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had some fun with the Coin Club kids tonight.
thisistheshow, your other extra 1933 Century of Progress Good Luck Medal shown here
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=178#3153201 went to a girl named Olivia.
It was her first meeting and she was maybe 10 or so yrs old. I did a "show and tell" and told them somebody nice gave it to me to give away and she really liked it. Thank you for your generosity!
You made both her and my day! (again)
and the Medallic Art Co. FDR shown here
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=181#3160008
went to our YN who I nicknamed "Poindexter", our little 6 or 7 yr old professor.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
02/27/2020 9:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - Good job on both the Revere medal and your club report. I have your email still to answer. Been laid up with resparatory probs for a bit.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You take care 999.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For My Century of Progress Collection

CENTURY OF PROGRESS
FLORIDA

I am not a slab collector but at the price and quality, I couldn't pass.

OBVERSE

A CENTURY OF PROGRESS

YEAR ROUND
PLAY GROUND
OF THE NATION

Map of Florida

REVERSE

FLORIDA
WHERE SUMMER SPENDS
THE WINTER

Bough with Florida oranges

I apologize for the photography, I was trying something different.
Edited by 999fine
02/29/2020 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Orange you glad you bought that?
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  12:29 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two official medals here known as So-called Dollars. The "Hi-Ho" and the "Cheerio". There must be some song with those lyrics together, wouldn't you think?
Maybe A&P had a radio commercial or jingle?

1933 Century of Progress
Chicago World's Fair
Hi-Ho Medal HK464

1933 Century of Progress
Chicago World's Fair
Cheerio Medal HK464a

The A&P Carnival Exhibit seems to be one of the lesser known attractions, as I can find little information. What they did there at the A&P Carnival is a mystery to me. I doubt there was a grocery store at the World's Fair. I watched several funny and interesting yooo tooobe videos. People looked like they were enjoying themselves in the depression years.

Established in Manhattan in 1925, Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, known everywhere as A&P operated more than thirteen thousand grocery stores nationwide, with more than forty thousand employees.
By 1950, approximately ten cents out of every dollar spent on food in the United States passed over A&P counters.
A&P's decline began in the early 1950s, when it failed to keep pace with competitors that opened larger supermarkets with more modern features demanded by customers.
By the 1970s, A&P stores were outdated, and its efforts to combat high operating costs resulted in poor customer service.
A&P was for sale in 2013 but could not find a buyer. Declaring a loss in April 2015, it filed for its second Chapter 11 bankruptcy on July 19 of that year.
All of its supermarkets were sold or closed by November 25, 2015.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1961 Pony Express Termination Centennial
Bronze Medal HK-589

The Gold Rush in the mid-1800s necessitated a fast mail service. The Pony Express was developed as an alternative way for the mail to cross the North American continent.
Using many mounted riders, on a route from St. Joseph Missouri to Sacramento California the founders of the Pony Express established a company for moving the mail that was faster and more reliable than stagecoaches.

The Pony Express only operated for a year and a half—from April 1860 to November 1861.
The end of the Pony Express is directly related to the telegraph. The completion of the telegraph system and the termination of the Express occurred within a one-month period.

1961 Pony Express Termination Centennial silver and bronze medals were issued by The National Pony Express Centennial Association, Salt Lake City and were designed by Roy J. Olsen. Authorized by 86th Congress and struck at Philadelphia Mint.
15,000 Bronze medals of the same design were minted and sold for $1.50 each the same year.

A few pages earlier I posted a nice silver version here
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=180#3158093
Now I have the set of four, and I have seen a Capital Plastic holder that looks something like this with all four in it but it might be a custom order or very hard to find.
I made a virtual one and put my medal set images in it. If anyone ever sees one of these holders, please let me know.
(I did a pretty good job of it if I must say)
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
03/02/2020 11:52 am
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not a slab collector but at the price and quality, I couldn't pass.

Even if you don't prefer your collection being slabbed,buying nice slabbed examples at good prices will always make sense...unlike the guy who retired from the penny factory.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - thanks for the Pony Express and A&P posts. As a small boy growing up on a Pennsylvania dairy farm I still remember my trips to the A&P with my mother to buy what we didn't grow. Thanks for the memories.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New for my Americana collection

Ford
1940 INTERNATIONAL GOOD WILL TOUR
commemorating the
48TH MILLION FORD CAR

Appears to be gilt brass
Lighting / camera phone not too cooperative this morning.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love it 999! Great condition too. I know what you mean about camera not working.
I get my best pictures outside in the natural light but it's a safari for me getting outside.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8614 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1935 Pony Express Diamond Jubilee
Gilt So-called Half Dollar

I continue to look for much more scarce gilt and bronze versions of the same medals that appeared in the 1947 and 1948 c.smith so-called half dollar series.

My latest is the Pony Express. I have 5 obviously different medals that were struck with the Whitehead Hoag dies and possibly before Charles E. Smith of Boston MA produced his sets in 1947 and 1948.

My newest axquisition, the Pony Express Diamond Jubilee, was perhaps minted in 1935 and is maybe gilt white metal or gilt bronze.

So far I have these that were reissued in 1947

PONY EXPRESS DIAMOND JUBILEE 1860-1935 gilt
LINDBERGH - NY TO PARIS 1927 gilt
LINDBERGH - NY TO PARIS 1927 bronze
R. BYRD ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION 1928-1930 gilt
T. EDISON CENTENNIAL 1847-1947 gilt

plus an unusual
1948 WILLIAM T.SAMPSON 1898-1948 gilt

(I have seen the Edison in bronze and also with several different reverses.)
Seen below
Salaam Temple, Newark NJ
Crescent Temple, Trenton, NJ
GENERAL ELECTRIC Co. Lamp department

This would leave me looking for only two possible earlier gilt versions, the BATTLE OF LEXINGTON 150th 1775-1925 and the DANIEL BOONE - LEXINGTON 1775-1925.
The two confederate issues of 1947 were new that year for the 1947 set and not minted prior. There are a number of similar medals of the one with Washington
( some say it is General Lee ) on horseback with the Confederate seal.

For the 1948 issues, there were only 4 medals and I only have one, the Sampson. I do recall seeing another from this set that was gilt and I believe it was the Dewey issue but the cost was rediculous and I ignored it.
I am not as concerned with the 1948 issues as they were all newly minted in 1948.

To compare with the silver colored c.smith issues, here's a link to that earlier post.

http://goccf.com/t/328924
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
03/04/2020 6:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarkCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From TNG on 04/20/2018 9:35 pm:

Quote:
I also read the Gateway arch has a unique tram system to carry passengers to the observation room at the top of the arch. No windows I am guessing until you get to the 630 foot top.
If you are afraid of heights or claustrophobic, I think you better think twice before getting on the tram.

The elevator can't go straight up the arch due to the curve (155 degree change from top to bottom), so the tram rotates as it goes up. When I rode it in the mid 1980s, it would clunk into place every few seconds as you moved. You were basically horizontal the entire time, but lurches a bit side to side. A quick Internet search found several videos and fact sheets about the arch tram system.
Page: of 188  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05