Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,991 / Views: 150,233Next Topic
Page: of 200
Learn More...
United States
86522 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Small French medals, the smallest is only about 13mm
Nice set!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey dar76124
Thanks for posting those neat French medals and welcome to the thread for sure!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a little busy behind the scenes.

From 1971 to 1980 the Lombardo Mint in Canada minted these North Dakota Souvenir Dollars.
There are 10 designs to this set. The 1971 has a more crude Indian design on the front than the rest and it can also be found struck in copper.

I have seen 1981 and later North Dakota Souvenir Dollars but they are made by Metal Arts Co. and in my opinion, not part of this set.
There might be a 1972 error issue or scarce variety, it may just be that of excess leftover copper planchets from 1971 used in striking some 1972 issues or perhaps some other minting error.
I'll look for others but not worried about them.
There also may be an 11th "Special Northern Pacific Railway Depot" edition in the mix.
It has a theme for The Northern Pacific Railway, but not to be confused with the 1981 John Miller - Mandan souvenir dollar.
I have seen .999 silver issues here and there but again, these would not be part of my collecting idea here. (yet)
I do like the Indian head on the front of these, which is what caught my eye to start, but I decided to make a set because I found 9 of the 10 in one lot at a really good price and then hunted down the 1973 to finish it up.

1971 to 1980 North Dakota Souvenir Dollars

1971 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Crude Indian / Eagle in flight
1972 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Homestead Family
1973 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Power of Dakota
1974 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Ox and cart
1975 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Peace Garden
1976 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / 39th State
1977 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Meadowlark On Stump
1978 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Deer
1979 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Sakakawea
1980 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian / Eagle appearing on state flag

1972 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Crude Indian / Pheasant Capital of The World

Unusual re-use of the 1971 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar obverse design with a date of 1972.
A neat crossover and certainly a "key" as I am collecting my companion set from 1971 to 1980 for South Dakota Souvenir Dollars as seen below.
Unlike the "normal" issues, this one does not have a serial number on the edge.
It does have MADE IN CANADA (incuse) on the edge like the 1976 and earlier issues.
This same pheasant reverse was also used on the more commonly encountered "Under God The People Rule" obverse where an Indian on horseback rides and Mount Rushmore is seen in the background. South Dakota Souvenir Dollars were also minted for the same 10 consecutive years as the North Dakota with that obverse and a variety of reverse designs starting in 1971 ending in 1980.

1971 to 1980 South Dakota Souvenir Dollars

1971 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Land of Infinite Variety
1972 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Pheasant Capital of The World
1973 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Pray for Peace Eagle
1974 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Discovery of Gold
1975 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Pioneers Covered wagon
1976 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / 40th State
1977 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Sioux Falls
1978 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Wolf
1979 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / Corn Palace
1980 South Dakota Souvenir Dollar - Indian on Horse Mt Rushmore / 1889 Great Seal of South Dakota

The 1980 South Dakota is the only one I don't have yet. I could easily grab a Copper 1971 North Dakota Souvenir Dollar but those I see have ugly black splotches. I would only pick out a nice red or nicely toned red brown example which I can wait for. If I pick any of those up, the gallery collage images will be updated to reflect that in the future.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG - that certainly qualifies as a nice collection!
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you 999! Hope you are doing well.
That 72 South Dakota Indian Head is one to look for in my opinion. I think I just got lucky and stumbled across it. You know how it goes, once in awhile we get lucky. It's a lot like fishing.
Sooner or later you catch a good one if you fish a lot.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
86522 Posts
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Breton 897, I love the history of this coin. A Nova Scotia merchant in the mid 1800's, I found the following information on Ancestry dot com;

Robert Purves Merchant Token, by Doug Patriquin

The Robert Purves General Store was located just east of the village of Wallace, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. Purves was a shipbuilder by trade and built his store next to his shipyard at Wallace. He also had another store at Tatamagouche, N.S. In 1854, the RETRIEVER, the largest ship ever constructed in Wallace, was built at his shipyard. It was a 990 ton full rigged ship, with one deck and three masts. Purves was known to be close with money. In order to make a profit by selling his shipbuilders all the goods they needed, he had a copper token made in 1855, with his name on it, to pay his men. These tokens were redeemable for merchandise at his store and had the following inscription:

Obverse : ROBERT PURVES/CHEAP/FAMILY/STORE/WALLACE

Reverse : Encourage/Country/Importers

He left Wallace in the early 1860's and moved to Tatamagouche, where he continued to operate his other store and to build many smaller ships. His store was later torn down and the first steam powered engine to saw lumber for ship construction was set up on the site. When he died in 1872, his widow sold the balance of the remaining tokens, which totaled around 200. Purves was buried
in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The author wishes to acknowledge the assistance of Mr. Francis Grant, Wallace, N.S. and the
Cumberland county Museum, Amherst, N.S. for their help in locating material for this article. This article originally
published in the "CEE TEE", Volume 13, number 3, May of 1984. An illustration of the token is in the original article.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic token & great history snippet there mtracy14.
I have one of those and it is copper I think.
Is yours aluminum or white metal?
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This token is copper as well. I just received it today. Th he ebayer used a bright light, so I suppose the reflection gave the appearance of a white metal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response. I collected Canadian Colonial Tokens a ways back. It's a great area to study.
I have to take new images. My first time around taking pictures wasn't very good.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the designs on these half dollar size bronze medals, but I bought them mainly as bookmarks to indicate the start of my North and then South Dakota 1971 thru 1980 Souvenir Dollar sets in my album binder pages. I have 12 slot pages and to use up a whole page I thought it would be nice to have one in top left at the beginning of each page to separate the two sets. Just an OCD issue, that's all.
These go along with this post.
http://goccf.com/t/301479&whichpage=187#3182351
I've decided I have to at some point fill those two holes. The 1971 Copper North Dakota and the 1980 South Dakota Souvenir Dollars. This would make it 12 pc per page.

North Dakota

South Dakota

My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I published my research findings on the topic of Franklin Mint issues relating to Hawaii, ISBN 1496144821 and ISBN 150772554X. The topic of these books is focused on Hawaii, but it can be applied to the other 49 states.

From this research I created a new form of collecting called alapi'i collecting. Alapi'i is a Hawaiian word meaning "step". In a nutshell, a design is replicated (all or in part) on different metal planchets and/or different sized planchets. In other words the goal of alapi'i collecting is to acquire specimens with the exact same design and design element(s), but in different "steps" of metal compositions and planchet sizes.

Example images.

Gold-plated silver, silver, and bronze. Not shown is platinum. Catalog numbers are from the book: Hawaiian Money Second Edition by Medcalf & Russell.

Specimen 2M-155 embodies the intent of alapi'i collecting by using an exact design on the obverse and a design element on the reverse.

Alapi'i collecting can be applied to other non-Franklin Mint issues. Here is a so called dollar partial example (not all metal specimens are shown).

Edited by DrDarryl
04/04/2020 09:32 am
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decided I needed to start adding to my token collection, I decided to add tokens from states I've lived in, starting with Montana and Minnesota
This one is from a bar in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood in Minneapolis that I use to frequent. I don't know if you can see it or not but it looks like this token was restamped over another token. I need to put this under the microscope and take another up close picture. I'll repost it in a while

Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Viking Bar token under the microscope, it looks like this has been restamped a couple of times.

Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the Montana Tokens I just received. The Mission Bar was one of 13 bars on main street in Hardin when I was growing up. All of the bars from back then
are now gone except for one.

This is the token I found as a kid with a metal detector in my yard some time in the early 70's

Page: of 200 Previous TopicReplies: 2,991 / Views: 150,233Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05