Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,205 / Views: 175,435Next Topic
Page: of 214
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems. On my list is also his wife's medal as well #1 Hunter and Dog by Laura Gardin Fraser done in 1930. Plus a raw mint Oregon commem to showcase their combined work. However, I have a few other sets items on the list that come before these 2 items unless I see an opportunity I just cant pass.

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the commemorative medal issued by the Vermont Sesqui-Centennial Commission, the same folks who sponsored the 1927 Vermont Independence-Battle of Bennington commemorative half-dollar.

The medal simultaneously commemorates the 150th anniversary of Vermont declaring its independence from the British and the newly-independent US states of New York and New Hampshire (not the anniversary of its statehood) and the 150th anniversary of the American victory over the British at the Battle of Bennington during the American Revolution.

Charles Keck was the designer of the medal; Keck also designed the half dollar. As with the 50-cent piece, the commemorative medal was a dual commemorative for Vermont's Sesquicentennial (obverse) and the Battle of Bennington (reverse).

The obverse depicts a Green Mountain Boy. musket in hand, ready to fight. The famous "Bennington Flag" is seen in the background.

The reverse depicts Stephen Fay's Green Mountain Inn; it was often referred to as Fay's Tavern. The name of the establishment was later changed to the Catamount Tavern. The name change came after a stuffed catamount was mounted on a 25-foot tall signpost at the front of the building. The fierce animal was meant to be a warning to those from the New York colony who were intent on incorporating Vermont under their governance -- it signalled that such attempts would be met with fierce opposition. The tavern was an important meeting place in early Vermont, especially for the Green Mountain Boys. Ethan Allen planned the defense of Vermont against the New Yorkers at the tavern, and John Stark made plans regarding the Battle of Bennington within its walls.

The medal was struck in bronze by the Medallic Art Company of New York, and is 63mm in diameter.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice example. Fine add to any collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9141 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! that's another BIG beauty. Thanks
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  01:56 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 3" Jefferson peace medal. It didn't come with a fancy case like the Reagan one so, since I'm kind of a sucker for "presentation", I got one of the new medal cases the Mint offers.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition to your jefferson collection
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1889 Crystal Palace Home Industries Exhibition medal, 51mm by J.A.Restall.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example yarm
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1889 Crystal Palace Home Industries Exhibition medal, 51mm by J.A.Restall.
That is quite lovely!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spruett001: Nice Jefferson medal!

@yarm: Beautiful piece from the 1889 Exposition - superlative condition for a 130+ year-old medal! I really like the rich mahogany color the medal has developed over the years.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9141 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions! Thanks
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the release of the US Mint's new gold coin and silver medal for the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the pilgrims on the Mayflower is fast approaching, I thought I'd share a piece from the 300th anniversary year.

Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Page: of 214 Previous TopicReplies: 3,205 / Views: 175,435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05