Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lot Of 6 Roman Coins - Nero Tetradrachm Doubts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,909Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  11:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I bought this coin from a lot of 6 Roman Silver Coins (I added the pics below). The dealer was not an expert on ancients, but did verify that they were all solid silver.

I am worried about this coin as I now see that it has been copied. I can't find a direct match, so I want to see if anyone has any input.

Edited by travelcoin
11/27/2017 7:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
23066 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's gotten to the point where I can't tell any more. This type is often faked and the forgers are getting better every day. Knowing that I usually stay away from this type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I wasn't aware about this type. The other coins look to be ok, but I'm not an expert. There is a 30 day money back guarantee, so I'm going to wait and see what others have to say. I've been researching and found some fakes of this type, but they don't really match my coin.

Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The details look soft but it is hard to say if it is from being cast or honest wear. Since you got 5 other coins that you are happy with I would keep it. I have bought lots were I received a fake coin but was happy with the others in the lot so I did not return but informed seller.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the casting mold mark around the periphery from the reverse photo.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17090 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the problems with genuine coins of this series is that they were made from poor quality billon.

They can suffer from differential surface corrosion, which can mimic the same surface of a cast fake.

Hard to pick this one from pictures alone.

Probably the best you can do is take it to a bullion dealer or scrap jewelry gold buyer, who has a hand held XRF instrument.
Ask them to look at the amount of trace metals that would indicate and ancient alloy.
A modern alloy would only have copper and silver and perhaps other metals such as zinc.
The ancients did not have access to modern electrolytic refining techniques, and so were not able to remove a whole rage of other trace elements from the alloy.

If you are not able to have it XRF tested and you don't feel happy about it, then I think you should return it.

It may be helpful if you could show us the all of the 6 coins in the group, together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, the dealer says that each coin was verified on a high end X-Ray machine as silver.

Here is the pic of the lot:

Learn More...
United States
16434 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not the best at picking out counterfeits, but my spidey sense is tingling on that tetradrachm also. The others don't look problematic to me, at least in the sense that they all look struck to me.

To @sel's point, can you please post a couple edge shots of this one? Looking at the rev pic, from about four to six o'clock looks kinda like there might be a parting line. If it has a parting line, then it was cast and is therefore definitely fake.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
23066 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2017  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the others do appear genuine and a nice group they are
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have the coins in my hand tomorrow. I'll take pics of the edge. Normally, I could never afford this coin so I want to be fairly sure before I return it. Hopefully, he will do a partial refund and I'll keep the rest.
Edited by travelcoin
11/28/2017 08:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks again everyone, I really appreciate everyone taking the time!

Weight is 14.2g

Here are the pics of the edge. I'm leaning now towards that it's genuine. H

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  01:48 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well for what it is worth I would say the edge looks genuine. Looking over the coin with the edge considered I would not send it back and I'd personally feel the coin is fine. But that is just my opinion of course. Certainly not screaming a major problem to me. Might just be a coin that was, as another said, made of soft metal and weathered this way. I put up two closeups from your photo. The coin does not look obviously bad to me and again just my opinion.

Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Louis thanks for your opinion and taking the time for the pics. I agree, this might be a keeper.
Edited by travelcoin
12/01/2017 11:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd personally feel the coin is fine.

Me too.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17090 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2017  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am now about 90% sure that it is genuine.
I would now be happy to keep it.
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys

I know this is an old topic but I just saw this and found that my Nero tetradrachm matches this very closely. So now I am a bit concerned that the one I have and the one from TravelCoin both could be fakes? Please provide your thoughts.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05