Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Candidates For Dipping

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I simply don't buy coins that need possible remediation.

For those who enjoy doing so I hope you practice on less valuable examples first.
Exactly how I feel.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46074 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally trust my LCS dealer to advise, and dip, for me. I have never been disappointed.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kinda like them both as is - after all they are AU
Pillar of the Community
United States
1251 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch either. I'm confused about the first one. It's perfect as is...why touch it?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm confused about the first one. It's perfect as is...why touch it?

He's hoping to find ones that would get a grade bump after a dip
Pillar of the Community
United States
1251 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Ah, missed that. Thanks basebal.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2017  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Oh, then the 2nd one would be my choice to take a chance on.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flb0311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it okay to dip circulated coins? Have a few Morgans I bought for melt value, and want to dip to see what happens, but read elsewhere dipping should only be done on uncirculated coins.
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will leave them looking dull and lifeless. If the only value is melt, no harm experimenting. Once you see it for yourself you will understand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4623 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it okay to dip circulated coins? Have a few Morgans I bought for melt value, and want to dip to see what happens, but read elsewhere dipping should only be done on uncirculated coins.

with jbuck! You can experiment if it's just worth melt. Post some pictures here and we might be able to add more value/answers to your question.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12964 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would only dip a choice uncirculated coin that had black oxide toning & tarnish for 3-4 seconds with an immediate rinse of distilled water .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4623 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would only dip a choice uncirculated coin that had black oxide toning & tarnish for 3-4 seconds with an immediate rinse of distilled water.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Edited by USSID18
02/19/2020 7:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16321 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch a coin with black oxide toning. It's terminal and is much more likely to reveal damaged surfaces once the toning is removed.
Gary Schmidt
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flb0311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice. I will pick a few that are messed up and see what happens. I will try to remember to take before and after photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why even bother purchasing something that needs work.
just carl
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05