Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940 Nickel Error Or No?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  11:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add connie0319 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these nickels... on the 1940 nickel it looks different than other 1940 nickels, difference to me is the ponytail, the jawline and nose at the brow line. Any input is greatly appreciated... Also I've attached a photo of a 1961 nickel next to a 1941 nickel, my question is why is the 1961 a different color than the other nickel? Is this an error to? Thanks Again!!

Learn More...
United States
14220 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On 1940, pictures are a little blurry, but looks like the results from an over-polished die.

On the 1961, changed color by coming in contact with something after it left the mint.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 40 is VLDS late die state that's had a lot of polishing done on the die has removed details. Now that 61 is interesting. It could be what is known as a "black beauty" annealing error. Or it could be heat-treated to look like one. 55, 58, 59 are known years for them, can't say if 61 is or not. Your pix shows it as a grey/white, is that the true color? BBs are a deep gunmetal grey/black, kinda bluish but with a full luster. You may have one, but the color just looks altered, not a planchet error.
Edited by Crazyb0
11/29/2017 11:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add connie0319 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 61 is a deep grey/silver color, when in the light or a light shined on it appears to look marbled blue in color, is that what you mean?
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add connie0319 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe this is a better picture of the 61
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check this thread out. Spruett001 and I have some ourselves. When you say bluish, my eyes raise, could be a Black Beauty. They really aren't worth much, $10-$20 maybe. I just like them for their deep cobalt blue/gunmetal coloring, a nice addition to your collections.

http://goccf.com/t/288744
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10527 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  01:45 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on the 1940. The ponytail, neck and nose bridge all show signs of an over-polished die removing detail and that is consistent with a VLDS (very late die state). There is no value associated with that.

It's no surprise I am also interested in that 1961. The pics are difficult to work with but, I think I see some "shine" there. Can you post a pic of just the '61 in focus?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
11/30/2017 01:47 am
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add connie0319 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More pictures of the 61 nickel

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05