Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whats your opinion of this 1948 Canadian $1  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, Let me know your thoughts on this coin. I will be bidding on it, in a upcoming auction. They are stating its MS-62 in a un-common slab.

I believe it has been cleaned. Looking forward to your opinion and what you would pay for it?

Thank you in advance. I'm currently at $450

Valued Member
Canada
275 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it has been cleaned.

For me, personally, I would stay away...every time I'd look at it I would know it was cleaned.

And it will be harder to sell in the future if need be.
Valued Member
Canada
304 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the photo - hoping this looks better in hand . . . Don't know if I will ever own a '48 but if I were to acquire one I think I'd spend the extra $$$ for one that I feel really good about.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6819 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only has it been cleaned but it looks like it has been either mounted or encased.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
906 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually don't comment on Canadian coins since I have a limited knowledge, but this coin has many problems.

Also, as DBM mentioned, it probably was a jewelry piece at one time.
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

I have a CONTEST going on right now! Win CCF Token, Morgan or Peace dollar, and Franklin half.

http://goccf.com/t/301981
Pillar of the Community
United States
9600 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also looks AU
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at all those micro abrasions :( That is too bad. Just from eye appeal alone I would stay away (not that I remotely have that kind of money though lol).
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  09:22 am  Show Profile   Check Andy888's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andy888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details. ugly coin though since its been harshly cleaned. I would stay away from it unless I got a crazy deal on it. pity when you see a rare coin like this thats been mistreated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned AU 50 or lower, not MS62 if that needed to be said.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10341 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, that coin is not worth what it's going to get..and, if your price is $450, I wouldn't go any farther.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1631 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert, but with all those rim dings at 10 & 2 o'clock, along with all the wear/ scratches I would not consider this ms anything AU at the best, but I would not want to buy this coin in my opinion, unless it was a really good deal.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, harshly cleaned. Not a fan.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Learn More...
United States
23394 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Uncommon" slab in what sense? In most cases, that would be defined as "untrustworthy."
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1933 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrible coin....stay away.

On the plus side, any 1948 for $450 is worth it, but no way it'll sell for that amount.

Probably go for $800 to $1200 but consider yourself the lucky person who won't go home with it in your pocket.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2301 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who is the grading company? I don't think any reputable grading company would give this coin MS62.

On the other hand, the Charlton catalog gives the following value for the 1948 SD:

VF20- $1200
EF40 - 1400
AU 50 - 1600
MS 60 - 1800
MS 62 - 2200

Looking at finished eBay prices, the ugliest 1948 silver dollars go for over $1000. Here are some finished prices - $1400, $1248, $1158, $1475, $1310 for low and ungraded coins. Not a single coin sold for less than $1000.

If you can get it for $500-$700 you can easily flip it for a profit. You could easily sell it for over $1000.
But don't pay anything near or over $1000 for it.

Edited by MoneyPenney
12/05/2017 6:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't think you'll ever be happy looking at this coin, whatever the price.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05