Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large scratches on post 1965 nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

So I have been nickel hunting the last bit and I have noticed that almost all the post 1965 nickels I have found have at least one almost coin length heavy scratch running over the bust of the monarch.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it just a coincidence or is this something others see as well? Super curious...

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10485 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used in pay telephones and street meters.

Oops, maybe you're too young to know this..
True North
Edited by SHAFTA9a
12/05/2017 3:24 pm
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that what would cause those scratches? No I am old enough to remember those but I guess using nickels for pay phones and meters was before my time haha :P By then a nickel got you enough to punch in a phone number only (sarcasm of course lol). So maybe the older nickels are from when a nickel would actually get you some time from a meter and a phone and therefore were used more. Makes sense! Poor nickels :'(
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some pics?
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Coinfrog,

Sorry I have been away for a while and I realized I never got back to you on this. This post jogged my memory because I found another 1963 nickel and it too has large scratches across the entire face of Queen Elizabeth! It is ONLY nickels from the 1960's, in particular 1961-1964 that have this. I have never seen it on any other nickel I have found. The image below shows some examples. You can see it in the top left running left to right parallel to her chin, top right running up and to the left from her chin through her head and second row, second from the left, you can see a bunch of scratches.

I would chalk this up to just being old coins and having damage but I ONLY see this on Canadian nickels from 1961-1964. No other coins. And its not just some nickels in these dates. It is every single one I have ever found coin hunting. Not one exception (I keep every pre-1965 nickel I find).

What are your thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4662 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple look like intentional damage.
The rest are just normal circulation wear.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The three I pointed out are the ones with the long scratches. This is one EVERY 1961-1964 nickel I find but no other years.

How is that possible? Is someone scratching these up on purpose? That doesn't seem logical does it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4662 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the scratches may have been done on purpose but most of them are probably
from being used in machines as was earlier mentioned.
Whatever the cause and we will probably never know, it is PMD
as they didn't leave the mint that way.

PS-
I checked mine out of curiosity and out of 10, 4 had scratches
but not all in exactly the same place.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So when the machine damage suggestion came up I thought that could be the cause as well but then why do not other years before or after that period have they same type of markings? Do you by any chance know if these years they were made in such a way that they are thicker then other years?

Sorry for all the questions... its a problem that is really bugging me because I love nickels with the first version of Queen Elizabeth II bust but almost every one I find (1961-1964 are by far the most common) has these terrible gauges.
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Awesome Guys Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not on the one 1961 nickel I have.
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen lines on nickels dating back to the 1920's. I've also seen no lines on early 60's nickels. I have heard before that it is from parking meters, etc. This explanation seems reasonable.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05