Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 No S, from Philadelphia?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin_newb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been researching the 1971 Nickel with no S. From my understanding it is valuable if it comes in a proof set from San fransisco. My grandmother gave me these years ago, the envelope they came in is from San Fransisco, but It is not in a hard case. The other coins have the S mark, the envelope states it’s 1971 U.C. So can anybody tell me exactly what it s? Bc I assume the UC means Uncirculated so it’s not a proof set? I appreciate the clarification.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3108 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it's an Uncirculated Set, not a Proof Set.
Hence it would not contain an "S" Mint nickel.

The "missing S" variety would ONLY be in a Proof Set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the forum!

You have a "Mint set" not a "proof" set. The no MM is a Philly issue. If you had a coin with no MM of S in a plastic Proof, then it would be worth something.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep asking such great questions.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18947 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint set because of the blue stripe on the cello? NO -Because proof sets were in plastic cases in 71. And the SanFran mint quit producing the business strike nickel with their MM in 70 ( minted with the S from 68-70)

Oh, by the way – the book I gave you for Christmas has to be returned to the library next week.

Edited by Mark1959
12/05/2017 7:28 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin_newb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you all for the info. So the other coins in the set would have been produced in San fransisco, since they have the -S MM? The nickel would have been from Philadelphia then, if I am understanding the MM?
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scstrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that set, there should be only one "S" coin, the cent. All the others in that sleeve are from Philadelphia. (There may be another sleeve from Denver.) The address on the envelope just indicates the assembly point of the process.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4570 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I need clarification. Only one of the cents should have an S mintmark. It should be a Philly mint set (blue edges). The Denver set has red edges.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/coinhuntingdrew
Notable finds: 1983 DDR cent, 1984 DDO cent, 1999 WAM, 2000 D capped die nickel.
19 years old, CRHing since 2004
Future plans? Going to college and studying criminal justice, business, and/or economics. Also plan to go to Police Academy, but I'm still debating.
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05