Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sending to PCGS: 1868 Indian Head Cent- Snow-13 Reverse Die Gouge THANKS!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  01:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A very rare and elusive 1868 Snow-13 with the reverse die gouge and a minor RPD. One of the most exciting cherrypicks I have even pulled off from eBay. What do you think PCGS will grade it as?
Thanks for taking the time to look,
Eric

Pillar of the Community
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 with a shot at VF-20. But details, though. ED.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/coinhuntingdrew
Notable finds: 1983 DDR cent, 1984 DDO cent, 1999 WAM, 2000 D capped die nickel.
19 years old, CRHing since 2004
Future plans? Going to college and studying criminal justice, business, and/or economics. Also plan to go to Police Academy, but I'm still debating.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drew, do you think VerdiCare or Acetone would help?
Learn More...
United States
23395 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Drew, do you think VerdiCare or Acetone would help?

I wouldn't touch it. There does not seem to be anything "active" happening on the coin's surface, just a bit of crud, and successful removal of that crud will almost certainly result in surfaces differing in color from the rest of the coin being exposed. That means a coin which has obviously been cleaned.

The color is off, but I cannot get a feel for what the original color should be. Assuming it was shot on a white background, the pinkish hue to that background says we're not seeing the coin's true color. As per usual habit, I downloaded one of the images and opened it in the Gimp to see if I could correct the color. The only color channel adjustment which had any effect on the coin was the Red channel, and experience tells me that when I can't alter the image's appearance at all by changing the Yellow channel, there are White Balance issues beyond easy postprocessing correction. By the time I remove enough Red to correct the background, the coin has no color at all. Any alteration would be a sheer guess as to appropriate color.

I agree with Drew on the technical merit being in the F15 range. But to me, no conclusion regarding surface originality is possible from these images.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't touch it. There does not seem to be anything "active" happening on the coin's surface, just a bit of crud, and successful removal of that crud will almost certainly result in surfaces differing in color from the rest of the coin being exposed. That means a coin which has obviously been cleaned.

The color is off, but I cannot get a feel for what the original color should be. Assuming it was shot on a white background, the pinkish hue to that background says we're not seeing the coin's true color. As per usual habit, I downloaded one of the images and opened it in the Gimp to see if I could correct the color. The only color channel adjustment which had any effect on the coin was the Red channel, and experience tells me that when I can't alter the image's appearance at all by changing the Yellow channel, there are White Balance issues beyond easy postprocessing correction. By the time I remove enough Red to correct the background, the coin has no color at all. Any alteration would be a sheer guess as to appropriate color.

I agree with Drew on the technical merit being in the F15 range. But to me, no conclusion regarding surface originality is possible from these images.

I think there was some dirt on the coin before which resulted in that reddish clayish color you are seeing. Tonight I can try to post some more pictures from afar and upclose to try and get the most accurate color represented as possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18989 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12, congrats on a great find.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Learn More...
United States
23395 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tonight I can try to post some more pictures from afar and upclose to try and get the most accurate color represented as possible.

Use a white background, and let that tell you if you have the color right or not. Monitors are calibrated differently - regardless of what "color" you see on yours, it might look different on mine anyway - but white, being the "absence" of color, is the best way to find a common ground. If I know you're using a white background, all I have to do is make it white on my monitor and I'll know I have the actual color of the coin.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
F-12, congrats on a great find.

Thanks CoinFrog!

Quote:
Use a white background, and let that tell you if you have the color right or not. Monitors are calibrated differently - regardless of what "color" you see on yours, it might look different on mine anyway - but white, being the "absence" of color, is the best way to find a common ground. If I know you're using a white background, all I have to do is make it white on my monitor and I'll know I have the actual color of the coin.

Will do.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10751 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, Here are the picture on the white background.

Learn More...
United States
23395 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "white" is still plainly tinted red, which means the coin is too. What sort of camera are you using? We gotta figure out what we can do to affect White Balance settings and get your color closer to true. The images themselves are pretty good for sharpness; we can draw reasonable grading conclusions from them if we get the color right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3346 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks about f15 and does not look cleaned to me.
numismatic_student aka CoinNerd
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
CoinNerd's Type Set: http://coinnerdtypeset.blogspot.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fine details ED. To me that reddish area above the "ONE" and into the shield looks to be corrosion. The black gunk around 11:00 on the reverse may come off with a toothpick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike1487 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 and I think Verdi-Care would probably help it. That's a pretty cool variety!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I am using an iPhone 7Plus Camera with a Camerara Macro Lense Attached. I am using a regular desk light with a regular light bulb.

Quote:
F-15 and I think Verdi-Care would probably help it. That's a pretty cool variety!

Thanks Mike! I love finding them.
Learn More...
United States
23395 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dave, I am using an iPhone 7Plus Camera with a Camerara Macro Lense Attached

You might need the Camera+ app for it, then, to allow manual White Balance correction. iPhone cameras are terrific coin shooters; I'm surprised this one has such problems with color. Are there other light sources hitting the coin besides just the one bulb? Even the monitor maybe? Light of differing color temperatures hitting the sensor at the same time can confuse white balance correction.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05