Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this 1983 Lincoln cent off-center and double strike?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  7:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wellkellsbells to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1983 Lincoln cent in pocket change. Can anyone tell me what happened to it? I hope itís not PMD.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One ugly MAD Lincoln with a bad case of pox and sumushies... MAD means a misaligned die, just loose hits off square. the details are all there so isn't an off-center strike, reverse has to be effected in same way.

And I think it ran into our favorite coin villain:

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
12/06/2017 8:02 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wellkellsbells to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would someone do that though?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoulda seen the hammer my father-in-law used to "get his mad out..."

FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wellkellsbells to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I donít disagree with you, but I donít understand how putting one coin on top of the other could leave that impression.

I thought pox were bubbles and these are holes. Iím still getting used to all the vocabulary. I wonder what caused them?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4570 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought pox were bubbles and these are holes. Iím still getting used to all the vocabulary. I wonder what caused them?

Those holes used to be bubbles until they popped. Most likely, the intentional damage broke through the copper plating and exposed the zinc core to the elements. It is called zinc rot and will start as small bubbles created by corrosion gasses. Eventually, the bubble will break and what's left are pits like this. At this stage, it will continue to rot until the entire coin is eaten away.

Use the forum search and enter "zinc rot". There are many examples and much info posted.

Edit: here are a few I posted a while back:

http://goccf.com/t/281634
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
12/06/2017 9:48 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wellkellsbells to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05