Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 D Lincoln Cent Recurring Die Subsidence Error Stage Progressions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 3,257Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found all 6 of these from a OBW BU rolls of 1973 D Lincoln Memorial Cents. I wanted to share the different stages of progressions of the Sunken Die error. As you can see, it gets worse every time the die strikes blank planchets. The die steel sinks in more every time it strikes a blank planchet. Moderators, I hope it's okay to post this as it's showing different stages on how this error progresses. I know I posted a coin with this error not that long ago, but this is just showing the stages of progressions.

Edited by Errers and Varietys
01/11/2018 12:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a die clash
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do look like a Die Clash, but they are not though. This is a mysterious case of die failure. Read this article. http://www.error-ref.com/recurring-...dence-error/
01/11/2018 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is really dramatic! And these all came from a single roll? Did you go through other rolls? I've had the assumption that coins get bagged at the mint, then rolled when they were distributed to FR banks or (today) other large banks.

If I weren't so dang lazy I'd go downstairs and see if I had rolls of '73D rolls to go through. Just got over a combination of Flu & a GI bug, though, and just getting off this couch for hydration takes a real force of will.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These came from all three OBW BU rolls. I went through all of three rolls that I bought on eBay. Hopefully, you will stay strong and won't get badly sick again.
01/11/2018 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, E&V. Perhaps you're recommending a nap? I think that sounds like a plan.

BTW, did the rolls have a stamp or other ID of where they came from? Must have been the same origin.

Later,

Zzzzz...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4934 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seven of those in different stages. I believe they still don't know why this was caused.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks, E&V. Perhaps you're recommending a nap? I think that sounds like a plan.

BTW, did the rolls have a stamp or other ID of where they came from? Must have been the same origin.

Later,

Zzzzz...

Yes, resting would be a good idea especially if you not feeling good. The rolls didn't have an ID of where they came from, but it must of been the same origin. See you later, have a good nap.

Quote:
I have seven of those in different stages. I believe they still don't know why this was caused.

Yep, they still don't really know what caused this mysterious form of die failure. These are very fun to collect so if you find them, save them. One good guess is maybe they didn't soften the workstock (something that I saw Coop saying on a similar thread with the same Sunken Die error).
01/11/2018 6:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3653 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really interesting post E&V I am going to have to book mark it. I would have thought in seeing your images that the LC's were suffering from VLDS (ghosting)
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you CoinCents. What happened here is the die steel in for some reason. This is a mysterious form of Die Failure. They still don't know what causes it. Maybe they didn't soften the die?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3653 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really, really interesting. I have the error-ref webpage marked as well. Thanks for posting this. From what I am getting from the Error-ref website is that this area is abnormally soft.
Edited by CoinCents
01/11/2018 10:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is very interesting. You're welcome. The area is soft and it is all distorted looking.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anybody else found these from OBW rolls of 1973 D Lincoln Memorial Cents? I'm sorry to bring this topic back up again, but I think it would be a good discussion.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewMember to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Maybe they didn't soften the die?"
E&V, did you mean harden the die? If I'm not mistaken, there were multiple dies used with the same hallmark? It would be interesting to find the markers and trace backwards to the commonality.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NewMember, I think that's what I meant. Hardening the dies. It would be very cool to find the die markers and trace back to what caused it. It's still a mystery to what has caused this reccuring Sunken Die error (Die Subsidence).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
E&V , I just now noticed this post. Thanks for bringing it back !
Since these were found in the same roll , they were struck during a limited time span.
That said , going by die scratches as markers , it appears you have three different reverse dies illustrated.
Photos 1and 2 are of the same die. Photos 3,5 and 6 are a different die and photo 4 is from a third die.
If you check the obverses of these coins you may be able to confirm this.
As time allows I have been looking into this anomaly and have examples from different years , denominations , as well as types of errors that I feel stem from the same root problem.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 3,257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: