Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has this LWC 1909 VDB been cleaned  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  05:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To my surprise I found two LWC 1909 VDB. One looks fine but the other I'm not so sure. I think it has been cleaned. Would appreciate help from the experts.

To me this coin looks fine.

On the other hand, I see striations on this coin (blue arrows except on last figure that points to die break on the T) that make me wonder if this coin was cleaned.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20826 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither coin looks cleaned to me. The last pic is a die crack/chip. The striations look normal to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7018 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You under graded your first coin ,more like VF-30 .
Your 2nd. one I 'm seeing AU-53 . No cleaning on any of them .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16025 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both nice coins. No real signs of cleaning. Where did you get those?
just carl
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thank all of you for your help. I had never seen a Lincoln with thought types of striations. These were found along with a nice 1957-d RPM WRPM-001 (posted on error forum) in a roll of coins a recently obtained from a local bank. I had to pinch myself when I found them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:04 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ I have. Check with a good loupe and a strong light and you'll find they are raised. These are die polish marks, not hairline scratches.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
21069 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK to me!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Learn More...
United States
50650 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both nice coins. No real signs of cleaning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14603 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not cleaned, you're seeing metal flow lines.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5879 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These were found along with a nice 1957-d RPM WRPM-001 (posted on error forum) in a roll of coins a recently obtained from a local bank. I had to pinch myself when I found them.

Pinch me as well ... wish I had the same great fortune.

Both appear to me to be authentic and original surfaces (not cleaned) ... great finds indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
01/11/2018 6:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11992 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two great snags. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The striations you are seeing are common on early Lincoln cents, especially 1909. You'll see a number of high grade 1909 cents for sale that have the woody look.
2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3293 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These were found along with a nice 1957-d RPM WRPM-001 (posted on error forum) in a roll of coins a recently obtained from a local bank.

You went back for more, right?
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I love this forum. Fantastic folks and educators. To answer CWB-yes I went back for more. One of the rolls contained all LWC similar to the roll I found the 1909 VDB cents. All the coins were late 1940s-1950s. Found nothing interesting. I guess someone, not knowing anything about coins, just wrapped them up and brought them to the bank. Funny how CRH can go from sometimes boring to exciting in 0-5 sec!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05