Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can you help ID three China cash?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  12:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin 1. 24 mm, 2.77 g, uniface

Coin 2. 19 mm, 1.65 g

Coin 3. Filed to resemble circular saw (any ideas why?), 21 mm, 2.65 g

Any help will be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8806 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That last one is a Ching I think but has been made into a home made tool, leather working perhaps or a cooking pastry seamer?

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11918 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the second one, it looks like something from the Qing Dynasty. I am thinking of one made under the reign of Tongzhi, which would be dated from 1862 to 1874. There are multiple different mints, as see here, but I cannot tell which mint yours is from.

For the first one, it looks like a Northern Song Dynasty coin. I am leaning towards a running script version of a Zhidao one, which would have been made from 995 to 997, as seen here. Another example can be found on this site (the same one as the first link), but you will need to scroll down to find it (and they call it 'mixed script' rather than 'running script'). On that last site, it should be in the middle of one of the first sets of pictures.

And I am not sure what to make of the third one.
Edited by Joseph7420
01/11/2018 5:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, the pictures match for coin 1 as Qing dynasty Tongzhi, I'm thinking perhaps ˝ wen because the weight is about half that listed for a wen. And for coin 2 the picture matches for Northern Song, Zhidao, running script. Thank you, Joseph7420!

And thanks Crazyb0 for the suggestion on the third coin - I'm continuing looking through photos trying to match it up.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11918 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to help!

I have been looking into what the third coin could be, and I stumbled upon a coin from the Northern Song Dynasty with a similar top and bottom symbol. That coin is not what the third one is, but it was a Taiping one. Anyways, that led me to this coin, which was made during the Taiping Rebellion. The main difference between that coin and yours is that the letters on the reverse are going vertically. There is a horizontal version, found here, but that site does not have any pictures for that coin. Even so, I am thinking the horizontal version is what the third coin would be.

Also...

Quote:
Yes, the pictures match for coin 1 as Qing dynasty Tongzhi, I'm thinking perhaps ˝ wen because the weight is about half that listed for a wen.

Oops, I forgot to compare the weights. Although, I thought 1 cash was the smallest denomination for these types of coins. At least, I have never heard of a 1/2 denomination for them...
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, that certainly matches the third coin. I'm impressed that you were able to identify all three.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add anthonythecoinma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin 2 is a Qing Cash from the Reign of Tong Zhi. Struck as a 1 Cash. For more information, refer to David Hartill's Cast Chinese Coins, or for more indepth use David Hartill's Qing Cash.

The reign of Tong Zhi was a predecessor to the Guanghsu emperor and the succesor to the Xian Feng emperor. Tong Zhi's rule was from 1861-1875

Cheers! Keep collecting asian coins!

Anthony
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05