Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 P Wheat Cent With Lamination Error (I Will Call Lincoln Scarface)  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3065 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:05 pm Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this coin roll hunting through a circulated bankroll from a bank box of U.S. Pennies. It has a very unusual Lamination error by the rim as well. I will call Lincoln "Scarface" since he has Lamination cracks on his face. Lincoln looks like he got cut up!

Errors And Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
01/11/2018 9:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11992 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a way too close shave. Nice find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5185 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@E&V, just trying to learn--is it possible that the extra metal next to the date is actually a flattened rim cud rather than a lam? Probably not, but it just seems like a weird place for a lam (and a common place for a cud).
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3110 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCentsLady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great comment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3065 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, I looked flat on the surface and it wasn't a Cud. It's a Lamination, but in a weird spot. Moxking, that comment was too funny! Lincoln forgot to put shaving cream on his face.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3110 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCentsLady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence a Lamination will always affect (touch, go to) at least one part of the rim on a coin. A cud occurs when the die breaks on the rim causing separation (for lack of a better word for it right now) and the extra metal to flow into that area of the broken die.That causes that area of the coin to be higher which is noticeable from the edge of the coin as well (sorry I don't think I am explaining this very well - I have been aways for a few months) I am sure the others here can explain it better than I can right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5185 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a Lamination will always affect (touch, go to) at least one part of the rim on a coin.

Hmm, didn't know that. Why would that be?
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one E&V
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3065 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you OldJoeClark. It is a nice one.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3110 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCentsLady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence - Can't for the life of me remember the official definition or reason of this - except that it was one of the things I learned from coop (at least 99.9% sure it was coop).

This is something from the error-ref website
Quote:
It is generally believed that the flaking, peeling, and cracking is due to impurities in the alloy which causes metal to separate along horizontal planes of weakness.

http://www.error-ref.com/retained-lamination/
Edited by CoinCentsLady
01/12/2018 2:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
21069 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, congrats!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3065 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coinfrog. This Lamination is pretty dramatic.
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26248 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the lamination at one time was across about 1/2 way across this coin. Also that there is a straight line where it happened on the head, it probably went across the field at one time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3065 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, coop. So that means the Lamination was bigger at some point? So circulation has moved the Lamination?
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26248 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More of a peeling issue through time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1133 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet find E&V!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05