Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Macrinus provincial, lovely portrait  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
639 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first addition of 2018.
Macrinus, Nikopolis ad Istrum

Obverse - AVTKMOPELCEVMAKPEINOC - laureate/ cuirassed bust R
Reverse - VPCTALONGINOVNIKOPOLTWNPROCICTRW - Apollo standing L holding patera in R hand over lit Altar & branch in LH
Weight - 12.89g, Size - 26mm

An excellent Bust on this one, the Reverse isn't bad either but that portrait is a good one.
The odd thing about this particular Obverse die is that so far I have found it paired with at least 5 different reverses, Certainly a busy fella.
Damion

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4698 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one! Macrinus spent the entirety of his short reign in the far eastern provinces of the empire, so I suppose it is not surprising that he would have a lot of provincial coins - and his list is certainly extensive! Terrific pick up!
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14730 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic portrait. Really lovely example. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
664 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The centering dot is nicely positioned on the obverse,tucked away just under the ear and behind the beard and so doesen't detract anything from the portrait..
and the position on the reverse keeps the censors happy!

Wonderful coin with lovely detail especially on the obverse.Great 1st coin for the new year..Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2755 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
21115 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
639 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words everyone
Steve you are right regarding the volume of his Provincial coins issued, Markianopolis & Nikopolis ad Istrum in particular have so many variations & die combos that it could take a lifetime to get them all.
Paul, excellent observation regarding the centering holes
They don't often fall into place as nicely as these do so that was a big draw for me, plus it keeps Apollo's modesty intact
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6932 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
excellent observation regarding the centering holes

Great addition to your collection!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05