Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 LWC "Struck through" or just damage?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this 1941 searching a 1000 count bag of wheat cents. I imagine it's just plain old damage but doesn't hurt to ask - so "Struck through" or "damage" ?

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3464 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage to me - with the extra material build up along the path.
There have been many though that have turned out the other way. These struck through (except for the greasers) are a really tough call at times. Good Luck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27320 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23281 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PSD to me because of the raised ridge. I think a struck through would not have that ridge.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area around the you has me a bit confused - I would figure if it was a gouge it would have gone straight through instead of jogging around it.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9250 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the E...'nuff said!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15652 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scrape. But I can see why you would ask.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look at the E...'nuff said!

Yeah, Oh well, looks like I'm still looking for that first struck through find.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3445 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking, you will find it. I run across a lot of very small struck though somethings, the larger ones are not that easy to find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - @Errors and Varietys sent me a struck through thread 1999 LMC that I thank him tremendously - so far that is the only one I have.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10071 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome Mark. I wanted to downsize on my collection a little bit since I have a lot of coins, so I gave you some of mine. That 1999 Struck Through LMC was pulled out of a OBW BU roll that I bought on eBay a long time ago. You must have enjoyed that 1995 DDO I sent you. :)
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Edited by Errors and Varietys
01/12/2018 6:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again David - the bag of error coins is growing due to the Wheat cent bag I'm searching has some good ones in it,
I should be able to get it ready to send to you this weekend!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10071 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome Mark. I am already getting excited on the thought on getting your package of error coins! I will eventually send you more error coins once I gather up enough of them. :)
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31269 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank the family here for providing the correct answer. But what is the clincher in the images? Note the last one. Note the top line of the 'E' how it is pushed away from the normal design. Why is the important? If this were a struck through, the top part of the 'E' would be a straight line, except for the area affected by the struck through. Thus the moving away of the normal design shape was the clue that it happened after the coin was struck. PSD. Always good to know the reason and share it here. That way others can see what you see what this clue was. Otherwise the answer is correct. Just knowing why makes a difference for the members here.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/13/2018 3:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6297 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty darn good coop - a great explanation. I was just thinking the damage to the E was coincidental contact not being part of the problem in question.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31269 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good thought, but I was referring to the alteration nearest to the trench. Note how it looks pushed NE? Also the ridge NW of the trench shows a raised wave on that area also. If this were from a struck through lets say wire, then the fields there would also be flat, not showing a wave there.

Note there is not wave because the die contained the devices and the wire struck through on the fields and the devices.
coophome= wire altered
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/13/2018 4:21 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05