Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 D cent spiked head crazyb0 and coop need your thoughts  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I found me an interesting 2017 D spiked head

Edited by Mrzllewellyn
01/13/2018 02:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8224 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! It's pretty cool to find one on a 2017 D LSC!
Errors and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6107 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That almost looks like a struck though - a small piece of thread?

Notice how it passes over the W and then curls up next to it?
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Edited by Mark1959
01/12/2018 6:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a die crack though.
And passes through W twice
Edited by Mrzllewellyn
01/12/2018 6:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6107 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is a die crack though.
And passes through W twice

Interesting looking die crack.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought so too
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mrzllewellyn, I'm usually wrong about these things, but I sure thought that the shape of this feature looked more like a thread strike-through than a die crack. Of course, you have already looked at your coin and (presumably) see that it is raised above the field rather than incuse.

It is a nice pick-up!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it's raised up with like two tiny chips in the crack on long the way but the bottom of the W is incused in the device but inside the indent is what appears as a die crack so I'm not sure it all looks raised not incused at 10 times to 80 times magnification in my loops looks like any other die crack I've ever seen but the W is what stumps me the bottom is incused in the device the top cross over to the rim is on top of the device
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15539 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Always fun to find one we can discuss.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6107 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sure thought that the shape of this feature looked more like a thread strike-through than a die crack.

Thanks Spence - I thought I was the only one. Some of those pics make it look incuse! Maybe a retained struck thorough? - I never saw die cracks wander like a snake - don't mean it can't happen though. Forgive me as I just got in from shoveling snow to get to the ducks to feed them in snow and 35 MPH winds - it was cold!!

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RhodHayes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That looks great! Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing incused is the W looks like a die crack to me
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe @coop will weigh in on this one! I don't see how a die crack could be incuse for a section--it should be in relief the entire length.

Either way, seems like you've got a keeper there.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you I don't know what exactly it is but the whole line looks like a die crack but instead of on top of bottom of the W it cuts through the device
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2945 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice spiked head!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok after more looking and more magnified examination the crack is over top of the W not through it like I thought
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05