Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which coin from 2017?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  12:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, my daughter was born in 2017 and I would like to buy a coin for her birth year. Which coin would you guys recommend?

Must be 2017 and I prefer graded by PCGS or NGC
Learn More...
United States
12412 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For my niece, nephews, and new great niece, I bought them ASE from their birth year. I didn't want to get them a full mint set, cause I wasn't sure if they would end up collecting more coins, or those coins be put in circulation.

Maybe if there is a commemorative you like or thinks she might like, that's a possibility too.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was actually going to go with an ASE because that's very common for gifts.
However, I don't like buying common date modern coins anymore because the mint makes too many.

So that's why I am asking on here for more ideas. I stopped keeping up-to-date on modern coins and commemorates.

I will add some more details about her so maybe we can think of some type of coin that sounds similar.
Her birth month is in July, and she enjoys watching Micky Mouse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21967 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ASE or SAC enhanced finish
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1164 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it's not specifically what you requested and I don't know you're budget but I'd get my daughter an American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set in the original mint packaging. It's an attractive set when displayed together; each coin came from a different mint so it has all four mintmarks; and it comes with a nice little book with a history of the design that now emphasizes freedom and equality. Heck I think I sold myself on a set
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
324 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A quick search on the Can. mint site shows a few Mickey Mouse coins. They are from New Zealand, but the mint sells them here. Website is (mint.ca).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10060 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, I don't like buying common date modern coins anymore because the mint makes too many.

Unfortunately that describes everything the US mint did in 2017 besides the commemoratives that no one wanted.

If it had to be a US mint product I would probably get the birth year sett or get one of the EU sets which are cheap on the aftermarket now even for the graded 70s
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16347 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an easy question since the Mint hasn't made anything in 2017 worth keeping, in my opinion anyway. I stopped collecting Quarters since just to many and I think not really a coin. Regardless of what you buy, she will not think much of it for a long, long time. Actually would probably try eating it now. Possibly you might want to consider not even a coin. Possibly go to a jeweler and have them make something with the year on it. Possibly her name in Gold and the date. Then in the future, it would be something not for spending.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I wanted a graded 2017 coin I would go with a proof ASE.

Ungraded I would go with the mints "Birth Set".
Those are really nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know if I had a picture of mine on the hard drive or not when I replied....but I do so here is what the look like inside.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14310 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a 1917 coin for 100 year prior birth coin.

A Standing Liberty quarter would be gorgeous.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1419 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a Canadian coin is a possibility, the RCM have a "welcome to the world" coin. In 2017, it was available in silver and gold. The gold one is available on the mint.ca website, item number 157581. It costs $1200 (cdn) and has a face value of $200, with a mintage of 1500. The silver was around $60 to buy, I believe, but would have to be bought from a dealer as they are no longer available from the RCM.
Learn More...
United States
54947 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about a 1917 coin for 100 year prior birth coin.
A good idea. I created a set of 1908 coins for my son, born 2008.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your post! I have reviewed all the suggested ideas and figured out that I will buy her the Mint set with an ASE.

SAC's are really nice and so are Canadian coins.
Learn More...
United States
54947 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have reviewed all the suggested ideas and figured out that I will buy her the Mint set with an ASE.
Good choice.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05