Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anybody ever heard of it Jefferson nickels missing rty in Liberty?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  01:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Girl6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, whats hoing on witb this nickel? dorry my tablet camera is pretty crappy, canf find my phone, but its missing the erty in zLiberty, completely smoooth in that area besudes the 2002. Not scratched or rough @ all.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Girl6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Sounds like a filled die error.
It happens when grease or other build up fills the devices on the die, then those filled devices don't get transferred to the coins minted with it.

Pictures would help confirm this.

EDIT: I see you posted a picture, thank you.
The picture is too blurry to see the details.
Edited by cwb
01/14/2018 01:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5222 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  02:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can't tell anything from that pic.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@G6, first welcome to CCF. Second, while you pic is way too blurry to let us see what is going on with your coin, your description does make it sounds like your coin was struck with a grease-filled die. Unless there is a large amount of detail missing, your coin is probably not worth more than face value.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20996 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try again!

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11946 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better This picture is too blurry to tell what's going on with the coin, but a Grease Filled die (AKA Struck Through Grease) sounds most likely what caused the letters to disappear.
Errors And Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26236 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If what letters you are seeing, are wider than normal, then you have a struck through grease example. When enough grease fills the die, then all the letters will disappear. Unless a very large percentage of the devices are missing, not a big premium for this.

When the 80%+ range of devices is missing, then collectors are more interested.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds alot like those nickels I posted a week or so ago where the date isn't there. I'll show you what I mean.

There are 6 of them, the worst one has no Y at the end of liberty and the star is missing as well. I believe they said it was VLDS (Very Late Die State). Here is where he described it.
http://goccf.com/t/304054#2601341
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05