Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Diy Coin Storage? Anyone?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canadacoins201 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know a good way to store my coins and display them? I don't really want to go to coin shop and buy storage for all of them, as it gets expensive.

At the moment, I have my coins in rolls or fitted into an X shaped cut in a piece of paper. A few select coins are in small containers.

For example, if I wanted to display my nickels I'd need a large display case or something to display them individually from each year and mint mark.

Is there any homemade ways of doing this, or should I invest in purchasing storage from a coin store?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4604 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, well I don't display I just store them. I'm concerned about any environmental damage open display to sunlight or heat/cold might cause. I'm concerned about this even with my method of storage.

With that said, there are ways to store your coins and display them at the same time. You could custom build something if you are handy. Here are some threads of guys talking about that:

http://goccf.com/t/120804

http://goccf.com/t/187980

http://goccf.com/t/259105&whichpage=2
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Edited by USSID18
01/14/2018 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can purchase 100 nickel 2x2 coin flips for around $5 and 20 20 pocket clear plastic binder sheets for around $8 and a 3 ring binder at Walmart for $3. So, for well under $20 you could have at least 100 of your nickels protected and easily accessed to view! I don't think that is too expensive to have your collection protected and viewable. Just my humble opinion
In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!
If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your coins are not valuable enough to spend a few cents for 2x2's, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you think your coins are worth a few cents each to protect, buy the 2x2's and make your own box to store them in.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gregfosterid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do any of you put a box with coins in a safe with a combination lock? I would like my coin collection to be kept in a safe place
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19082 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of you put a box with coins in a safe with a combination lock? I would like my coin collection to be kept in a safe place

I have some tips for safety:
1. Send all to me and I'll guard them for you
2. Acquire a large box, bury in your yard if you have one. If not, bury in a nearby park.
3. Melt all coins into one large lump. No one steals lumps.
4. Do as I do. Place them in a safe deposit box at the bank. Notice how they call them SAFE deposit boxes?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4604 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of you put a box with coins in a safe with a combination lock?

I do.

Learn More...
United States
82686 Posts
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rob45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/362515

This is the way I display and store my collection.

to the forum!
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gregfosterid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, an impressive collection! And a great storage solution
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gregfosterid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not expect the best advice! Thanks! :D
I have some tips for safety:
1. Send all to me and I'll guard them for you
2. Acquire a large box, bury in your yard if you have one. If not, bury in a nearby park.
3. Melt all coins into one large lump. No one steals lumps.

But seriously.
I have a small collection now. And for starters, I want to buy myself a little safe. I liked this version of the portable safe. It seems comfortable. Here https://wisepick.org/best-home-safe/#product6 there is a lot of detailed information about it. I would be interested to know your opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone could just pick it up and walk off with it. Not a good choice in my humble opinion
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16477 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canadacoins201:
Whatever paper you currently use,
just make sure that is acid free, and also that it is not bleached white chlorinated paper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can make your on 2x2 flips from clear acetate sheet, recovered from toy, tool or food packaging. Staples still required. 100% chemically safe, and has to be, if used for food packaging.
If these not stored in album pages, they can be stored boxes that have a 2x2 cross section. It is possible to make these from thin cardboard. Can also be made from recovered corrugated cardboard, but these require a little skill to be made nicely.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want an idea for display, and are not concerned with theft, (maybe you have a very secured and safe home overall), then I have a Hybrid Homemade/store bought idea for you.

I have a nice sheet of uncut $2.00 bills, I went to Michaels craft store and found a nice inexpensive two sided glass frame. That way I can hang it on the wall as a display, but still have viewing access to the reverse.

My thought is; get several generic (correct coin size, but no date or mint mark printed) coin albums.
Then deconstruct the albums with a razor knife cutting the folding seams off, making each page a separate pane.
Then cut out the backside of each coin hole.
Insert your coins you want displayed, and label accordingly.
Now place these individual panes into the double sided glass frame.

This way you can mix coins if you want too, maybe the top row pennies, then nickels on the next row dimes, and so on.
It's just a few extra bucks to have the framing personnel actually mount them in the frame securely for you, like I did for my sheet of $2.00.

Just a thought if you want something personalized.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my example for the currency display, you can just substitute coin book panes.

The frame is actually made of metal and is very sturdy.

It would easily handle the weight of your coins.
Hope this helps, have a great day!
Learn More...
United States
82686 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05