Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I would like some guidance on starting a 1976 birth year set  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  02:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I am a new member and I would appreciate some guidance. I am interested in doing a set from my birth year, 1976. Just US coins. Please tell me if there were any other coins issued other than, with some overlap, what is included in the mint sets, proof set, special three coin silver set, and eight Ike varieties. Thank you!!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5570 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  02:30 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are many U.S. medals and tokens commemorating the bicentennial.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't even considered the medals and tokens, but I will take a look. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12963 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Literally hundreds of promotional tokens for the Bicentennial. eBay probably has lots of them.

The problem is, most are only worth a quarter up to about $2. Local coin shows would have some junk boxes to look through.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 is a year uniquely full of medals and tokens produced. I recently found out that one of the items I picked out of a dealer junk bin is a medal produced for a particular city's bicentennial celebration and designed by Frank Gasparro. I would imagine that many other cities produced their own memorabilia.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3594 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Sounds like a fun project!

If I were looking I would just probably go to the eBay " US coins" category and type in 1976 in the search bar.
See what pops up besides the ones you listed above.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with above. Search eBay for 1976 proof set I got mine for less than $10.00 with shipping. Fun fact the 1975 proof set has a 1976 quarter half dollar and dollar. They made them for 2 years.
Best of Luck and Welcome.
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a nice set. You will love the Ikes, of course.

Good luck!
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fun fact the 1975 proof set has a 1976 quarter half dollar and dollar.
Also, the 1975 proof set as a Variety 1 Ike, the 1976 has the Variety 2.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for these great answers! They are very helpful! I have been searching for a way to give my collecting focus and scope. I love researching and learning about history, so starting on this collection will do both. I plan on going to the Cowtown Coin Show near Fort Worth during last weekend in January, so I will be looking out for some great pieces!

And yes, jbuck, I will love the Ike's! Truth be told, I am a true novice in regard to Eisenhower dollars but I look forward to searching for beautiful examples of all the varieties I will update my progress and ask for any help I need.

Thank you again!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12963 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The very best of fun for your show attendance. I love shows. Although my bank account hates them.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you want to consider currency as well as coins, 1976 was the reintroduction of the $2 bill and it might be a nice addition to a birth year set. Additionally, since you say you're interested in history, you'll find the $2 bill has a very rich history as far as currency goes.

At the time, on the first day of issue, it was popular to take freshly printed uncirculated bills to the local post office and get the bill stamped with a 13 cent stamp and cancelled with the first day of issue date, April 13th, 1976.

With any kind of luck, you may be able to find a FDOI cancelled bill from your birth city on eBay
Edited by BadDog
01/18/2018 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1519 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This could turn into ma massive project.

There's are at least two three piece sets apparently made for coin shows. One is silver and the other is cu/ ni made for the Texas Numismatic Association show. There's a two piece set (25c & 50c) made for the 1975 ANA show in LA. I'd be surprised if there aren't at least a couple more.

There's also the "high speed" 1976 3 piece set which were mostly sold after the bicentennial through 1982. These were issued like the regular set but these have coins that were made on high speed presses and are quite inferior. Mintages are much higher but most were melted.

The number of tokens and medals is staggering and I must have 300 myself. There are many more.

The '75 mint set contains bicentennial issues. The Philly Ike in this set is very difficult to find decent.

There's a great deal more that might be included.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1519 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And don't forget the four regular souvenir sets sold at the mint; '75 and '76 P & D.

I believe the '75-P is somewhat elusive and had a low mintage. Apparently people didn't want 1974 coins mixed with the bicentennials.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
01/18/2018 3:15 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadDog, I will be researching the history of the $2 bill and looking for one from my birth city. Great idea.

And cladking, I'll make a note of all those sets and put them on my list. I really appreciate all of the help!
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And yes, jbuck, I will love the Ike's! Truth be told, I am a true novice in regard to Eisenhower dollars but I look forward to searching for beautiful examples of all the varieties I will update my progress and ask for any help I need.
Glad to see your enthusiasm!

We area always here to help.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05