Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943-D Bronze Cents on 'The Blacklist' episode 'Abraham Stern'  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone watch this episode that aired last night?

Warning! Below here be spoilers!

Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Spoiler Alert! ***

There were four 1943-D bronze cents created by a disgruntled mint employee. When examined together they create a map to a treasure. The treasure was millions of dollars in Federal Reserve notes that the mint employee had obtained.

The mint employee left the four cents to this son so he would use them to find his inheritance. The son spent the cents on candy. Once he realized his mistake, he spent 40 years trying to get them back.

While fun, there were more than a few problems with the episode.

Discuss.
Learn More...
United States
11965 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, curiosity made me go watch it "on demand".

They described the four 1943 cents as being special because they were made of bronze when all the rest were made of copper! *rolls eyes*

They solved the mystery by overlaying images of the four cents digitally, something that would have been possible with photographic methods, I guess, in 1943. But that meant that the person would have to have made four
separate dies and struck one coin with each die. *rolls eyes*

Finally, one crook outsmarted the other crook by somehow hooking up a big vaccuum and sucking out the treasure.

In this episode a person gets away with murder, and steals a stolen treasure. final *eye roll*
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to remind myself that this is just a TV show, which, like most, exists in an alternate reality. Every incorrect detail just reminded me of that.

But it was nice to see a numismatic themed show. I even like how the one guy had a difficult time pronouncing numismatist.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27323 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of fun for sure!
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your home computer is set up you can watch the episode here:

https://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/v...tern/3649712

The bronze pennies are part of the story.

http://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The San Francisco 1949 Mexico 1898 Peso Restrike

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the show came on awhile ago, but enjoy the Blacklist very much. I would suggest start from the beginning on Netflix. It's one of the few shows I watch because of limited time available.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

But it was nice to see a numismatic themed show. I even like how the one guy had a difficult time pronouncing numismatist.

I is one and I cannot pronounciate it.
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the show came on awhile ago, but enjoy the Blacklist very much.
So do I. I have been watching it since the beginning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1346 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember back in 8th grade when I started collecting and I told the guidance counselor at school about it. He said, "That makes you a numismatist!" I said I didn't know what he was talking about.
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been watching it since the beginning.

So have I, although I did cringe at many of the coin references in the newest episode.

I'll probably still tune in for this week's episode though.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rugrats2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also sad is the idea that the Denver MINT would have anything to do with printing paper currency, and that the federal reserve would honor the $100,000 bills which were never issued in the first place. Until they would have been issued, they are so much wallpaper.
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05