Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thinking About Buying From This Ebay Seller, Your Thoughts 1812 Half Dollar

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BassPro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive at first glance, but enlarging the obverse pic shows strong cleaning scratches. I would not buy this coin.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BassPro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured that is what someone who really knows would say. Just because it's cleaned--does that make it no good? Really beautiful coin but I guess that's alot of money also
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think they are allowed to show the PCGS view if the coin has been cracked out. Or was it ever in a PCGS slab? Did the seller superimpose the PCGS title over the coin to make it look official? If the seller doesn't have an answer, keep looking.

I'm with the frog on this one. Those hairlines are pretty obvious. As is I would not bid on it.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yhbearcats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely cleaned.

I'm also not a fan of the the first photo using the PCGS logo. While it doesn't say it is a certified coin, why else would you have the PCGS logo beside the coin except to make people think it is certified by them. Only other reason would be if he was a PCGS Authorized Dealer, but it isn't clear if they are.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3299 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd pass just on the basis of a deliberately deceptive listing.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add duncanbishop24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I agree. They might be using the PCGS one as a 'stock photo' and they're too completely different coins too... Seems too weird
Pillar of the Community
United States
2414 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deceptive listing pass. If the coin was in a PCGS holder, the seller knows the actual PCGS grade, but list the coin as AU/UNC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The use of the PCGS logo confused me as well.

I would keep shopping as the bids keep coming on this one.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weird listing. it gives the word or symbol of " PCGS" on the listing photo, but does not show it in a holder, nor show the grade. For info, I might message the seller and ask the seller where they derived the AU or XF from, and by the way where is the picture of it in the PCGS holder. If the seller cannot answer this, you might ask what is the grade as I have not seen any of these grade catagories before without a grade on the label. It still might be worth buying if you can get this cleared up but it seems the seller is being way too evasive and/or incomplete on his claims regarding the coin. just my opinion. if the seller replies, please put it here as many of us can spot a b.s. listing from a mile away.

mike
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17406 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harshly cleaned Retone. Pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and re-toned. Pass.

The first image has the PCGS logo but no cert number. The coin is also out of a holder and there's no reason for PCGS logo to be there.
Even if it was in good condition I would pass because the listing is deceptive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, seller is from white plains new York. That means I'm about 20 minutes from this coin. It does look kinda pretty but I wouldn't get it with the scratches and cleaning. It's not ugly though. Also regarding that "trueview" notice the black around the coin? I've never seen that on a real trueview.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, it sold for $517. since it was a private auction, we have no idea on the buyer's experience... or anything else possibly shady about it the bidding.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BassPro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't buy cause of everybody being negative about the coin but I thought it was the best looking coin that old I ever seen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the same seller that was discussed on another thread a few days ago about his unusual listings of details bust halves.

http://goccf.com/t/305722
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05