Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a little more research, I need to call this one for the 1410s.
Brabant double gros, Leuven mint 1410-1412. Witte 435.
Obv: ANTHONIVS DEI GRA DX BRABANTIE. Mint name LOVAN below the sitting lion
Rev: MONETA DVC BRABANTIE ET LIMB.

Duke Antoine would die in battle at Agincourt in 1415, the highest ranking casualty on the French side of this important battle in the Hundred Years War.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, very nice coin! Today, we are on to the decade of 1400 to 1409 AD.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I can't contribute with collected coins as my window of collection is very small (1550-1600). Notwithstanding I enjoy the interesting pieces presented every day and it is a pleasure to learn about the historical background summarized.

I learned today that the battle of Azincourt (in French Flanders, pas-de-Calais today) the was the end of the heavyly armed cavalry and the start of artillery warfare in Europe

Image: "La bataille d'Azincourt", miniature extraite des Vigiles du roi Charles VII de Martial d'Auvergne, fin du XVe siècle, Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France, département des Manuscrits.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We pass through each decade with our coins, but there is so much history behind them. Hopefully some others who are watching enjoy this discussion? I think in the 14th and 15th century, the relationship between England and France was like U.S. and USSR in the 20th century.

I am guessing spence will rescue us from the 1400 decade. By Sunday I can contribute again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uh oh ...

Are we stuck already?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe more of a pause than being stuck. I have a few which could be struck during this decade but I can't narrow them down to *only* this decade. I'm hoping that we will get rescused!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the bad luck of the sovereigns of the places I collect all having had long reigns that straddle that decade.
Not bad luck for them, of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I had one,but it is 1399-1405.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ED, so glad to see that you are gearing up to help with this new endeavor! As I recall, your Hungarian denars were instrumental in helping move the first version of this thread back so far.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll put this one up as the closest I can come. Lorraine, gros of Duke Charles II from the Nancy mint. I believe it starts in the right decade, though the span is much longer than one decade. Boudeau 1480, which is dated at 1400-1430 on Numista.
Obv:KAROLVS DVX LOTHOR Z M
Rev, int: MONETA DE NANCI
Rev, ext: BNDICTV SIT NOME DNI NRI IHV XII (variant)

During Charles' reign, a peasant girl who later became known as Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc) was born and lived her childhood in the village of Domremy, 25 miles southwest of the ducal palace in Nancy.

Edited by tdziemia
02/11/2018 3:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been thinking a bunch about this thread, but also investigated how @medieval handled the original thread. Not unsurprisingly, that thread ran into some roadblocks along the way and it looks to me like @medieval was generally in favor of keeping the thread moving. I have to agree that being able to see new coins each day (or even on a weekly basis) is much more fun than opening post after post of @jbuck eating popcorn.

Therefore, here is an addendum to the rules that I'd like to float past you folks. If we don't have any coin which neatly fits into the specific decade for which we are looking, we will move back anyway after a month-long hiatus. During that month, obviously we can continue to post coins from the "old" decade, but also post coins that are a little too broadly dated to fit into the specific decade of interest. As the caretaker of this thread, I'll note which decades didn't work out and let us all know when we can move on. Sound ok?
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK for me
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
823 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia
very sharp central strike, with impressive image of the duke
Pillar of the Community
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that works for me.
So that means we will only advance to the 1390s in March? Is that supposed to encourage us to shop for the coin to plug this hole?

Sorry if I jumped the gun there ... as a newbie, I'm anxious to share for the first time!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
673 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another coin that " could " fit the gap but I cant narrow it down, just like tdziemia's coin.

Moldavia & wallachia
ALEXANDRU CEL BUN 1/2 Groschen - 1400-1432

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05