Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coinmanage Vs Exactchange

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,425Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been considering building my own Access database so I can customize the entry forms to my liking. It's not a terribly hard program to use. A couple YouTube videos will get you started. If I end up making a database I'll let you know how it goes.
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinking7389 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After all of the problems I have experienced with the various OTS products I must admit I am leaning towards DIY also. I am currently using Exact Change and there are several operational problems with the product; but more disturbing is the poor quality support. Problems that are reported may or may not be fixed, and when or if that occurs is never stated. At least a roll-your-own solution can be handled personally. I love the features offered by the various products but I worry about the future when the product is no longer supported at all.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am doing all my inventory & grading helps in Excel.

I personally prefer to have the pictures in a spreadsheet rather than links. The way to handle any file size issues is to create folders for each country you are collecting, folders for each denomination under each country, and various spreadsheets as needed within those denominations.

Thus....I am in the process of creating a master grading spreadsheet for each denomination, separate from my inventory for my collection. Within the spreadsheet I will have a set of Photos-only worksheets, one for each unique coin type (e.g. Lincoln shield, Lincoln Memorial, Lincoln Wheat, Indian Head, and on back for all of the small cents). Separate picture worksheets for Large cents, two cents, Three Cents, nickel, and so forth.

In addition, within those same spreadsheets, I will have a companion worksheet for each picture set that has descriptions for each grade, high points of wear on each coin type, and other details.

With the information in these spreadsheets, I will be able to create a quick reference for being able to grade my coins.

Note: each of my coin pictures (that I have gathered from numerous sources on the Internet which give pictures, descriptions, & grades) is 3.15" square. This limits me to six coins per page, but it also allows me to see all of the details of those pictures. And given that we are talking about a limited number of pictures per grade for an entire class of coins, it is a reasonable way to put this together.

When it comes to my own collection, it has been more difficult, because I am having a hard time finding a good way to take the pictures in way that clearly shows the features of the coins with the right lighting and focus. I have a USB microscope which I can use for small coins to get the whole coin in the picture (but still working to get pictures that look like online grading pictured). My Cybershot camera has not proven to be helpful. My phone pics still leave something to be desired. All of these can probably pass for me on my own collection, but I will from time to time be selling online, and they are unacceptable (by my personal standards) for posting on ETSY, Ebay, etc.

I am quickly building worksheets for each coin type having all "normal" coins and many error coins. I do not only rely on Red Book or PCGS, but I am using my Kindle copy of the CherryPickers Guide, plus going through all of CopperCoins and other such sites. I am creating a master cross-reference list for error coins, trying to link everything in Coppercoins to CONECA, Fivaz-Stanton (old & new), Wexler, Crawford, & Ken Potter. From the comprehensive list, I am picking out which varieties I feel are worth my time to look for in roll hunting, and I am making sure that they are in my master list. Here again, I am hoping to have a complete set of pictures for all varieties (on my list, NOT all existing varieties), and descriptions that will aid me in finding those varieties.

Eventually, I hope that I can have this available electronically to take with me when I go to antique stores and other places.
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!

Once I get my work completed for the first denomination, I would be prepared .to provide copies of the spreadsheets for Community members. I don't know how that is handled here. I is very tedious to convert a page at a time to a PNG-type file and more work than is reasonable for others to just use the printouts and not have the usefulness .of having the actual data there so that it can be used to track what is in one's collection or to attach one's notes in a spreadsheet. I DO understand the reluctance that we all have of opening a file from someone online if we do not know them personally, given all the virus issues and identity theft out there, but hopefully there is a reasonable way to accomplish this goal within CCF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I would love to find is a software program that will accept images (obv & rev) of each coin in my collection, along with the usual textual data... But would also allow me to print a report encompassing selected types of coins, which would include certain text along with the images (sort of like printing a catalog of a targeted section of my collection, such as my civil war tokens). Any recommednations?
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would be prepared .to provide copies of the spreadsheets for Community members. I don't know how that is handled here.
Probably best to share via Dropbox, Google Docs, etc.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rich.....Although it is not quite as simple as you want, the first part (getting the pictures into a database along with the text) is not as tedious as you might think. The main challenges is to standardize your procedures for taking pictures, cropping them, etc. This includes creating a template with preset cell sizes for the picture. Once you have these procedures in place, adding two pictures per coin can happen in 1-2 minutes per pair.

You have to decide what dimensions you want to have for your pictures (a uniform symmetrical space) and how much space you want to set aside for the text. I will leave the text side for another discussion. But taking my grading pictures as an example, once I have saved them (and I use Irfanview to clean up the raw pictures first, which you would want to do in any situation like you are describing), I open up my spreadsheet, and copy my preset template to a new worksheet. I click on the cell where I want to have the Obverse, and choose to insert / Pictures and choose the pic. I then choose the properties and put in my standard height & width and save (clicking off the aspect ratio lock as needed first).

What I have done so far, I have in the order I want it in as I create it. So I cannot currently address all the steps for doing what you want for your reports. It can be done via sorting, but there are certain steps that have to be taken to ensure that your pictures are locked into place with the rest of the row so that they move to the new location properly once the worksheet is sorted.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using Exact Change for 8-9 years. Granted I've taken some breaks from collecting in there, but I love Exact Change. I haven't had any issues with tech support. I actually posted on their FB page about creating a specific object within the database that would allow for am extra field in the custom reports. The put out a new version in 3 days.

I can add photos of all my coins (obverse, reverse, and receipt). I can keep track of coins owned, sold, and needed (and there is already a report built for any of those categories ready to be ran.) I can run reports of my entire collection, a specific group (US only), a specific type (matron head large cents only), add random coins from across my entire collection to a report, and anything in between.

I can run reports based coins I want (very handy during the holidays), an inventory report to show what binder/ album my 1909 S V.D.B #5 ids, because I own 5 of every coin and want to have grading for each one and know where each is at.

I like being able to see in 2 years that I paid $53 dollars for a 1943 D Mercury and it's worth $5.

I do have issues with it though too. The values are a bit off. Not all of my world coins are in there. My mint sets from the UK aren't in there. Most non-US coins don't have a price loaded to them.

But I can export to a cvs file. There is a windows and mac version. And I can create my own storage locations for my coins ( Dansco 7070 album, Red 2x2 Book, cardboard box, ect). And best off, after initial purchase, I've never paid them again. No yearly update costs.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sharpstrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use and love ExactChange. The key is to do all the tutorials before starting. You can let it value your coins, some of your coins or none of your coins. You can enter the value yourself. It has pictures, easy to use navigation (can be several clicks to get the tree open but that's the nature of the beast ie US:Cents:Lincoln Cents:Memorial), has amazing reports such as collection and series checklist, and is overall the single most organized way I've ever tracked my coins! I had one issue and when I emailed I received a response within hours. I highly recommend it. One suggestion I make is create a picture folder with sub folders similar to the program so it's easy to keep them organized, and then never move or change the folder names as the program won't recognize them. Hope this helps!
CCF Advertiser
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its good to know about the feedback about CoinManage and ExactChange . We use excel as of now but would be glad to know more feedbacks about any packages/apps which have been used and the experiences on them.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my knowledge you can only import a database into Exact Change. You can not export to csv or any other format.
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does not seem fair. If software can import, it should be able to export CSV at minimum.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05