Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 D Quarter Missing OBV Clad Layer - 5.5g (Could This Be The Real Deal?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 3,232Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  3:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JavenBlade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently found this coin while roll hunting. It appears to be missing the OBV nickel-copper clad layer. Due to corrosion and wear, it is somewhat difficult to be sure that the OBV is in fact stamped on the 90% copper middle layer, or if it is just a highly corroded nickel-copper layer. But after weighing the coin, and finding that it weighs only 5.50 grams (as opposed to the standard 5.7 grams), I decided to look a bit more closely. I am attaching some pictures of the edge of the coin, which seem to show only two layers instead of the typical three layers of most clad coinage. If anyone can offer a second opinion, it would be much appreciated. Also, if this is truly a missing clad quarter, would be worth sending it out for grading?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It looks like an environmental damaged coin to me. Maybe a metal detector find.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54774 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5544 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To Community.

I agree with environmental damage. Looking at the reeding,it looks like it used to be a slot machine quarter where the reeding got quite worn down before it spent time outdoors in the wild
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Just plain old environmental damage.
Learn More...
United States
96073 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too heavy to be missing clad layer. Weight is within spec for a normal coin. A missing clad layer would be around 4.08 to 4.42 grams. Most likely right around 4.25 grams.
Gary Schmidt
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JavenBlade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your posts! I guess that I jumped the gun on this one. I just got excited when it came in under weight. But it makes sense that a missing clad layer would weigh more than 0.2 grams. I finally decided to scrape a bit of the corrosion off, and it was obviously nickel underneath. Thanks again for the reality check!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JamisonWorrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, everyone saying environmental damage, that may not be the case. There are 3 different types of missing clad errors. One is where the coin is run the the blank mill, and one of the clad layers did not bond correctly. Somewhere along the way, before it gets to coinage press, the layer falls off. Then the coin is pressed in the coin press. Giving you, a full pressed 4.69g missing clad error. Type 2 is when the coming gets all the way to the coinage press and the layer falls off after the press. Giving you a very weak-strike looking, blurred obv or rvs 4.69g missing clad error. Type 3, and the rarest of the errors, is when one of the clad strips run out before the other 2 layers of copper and clad. So when it gets to the blank mill, a full weight 5.69g, 2 layer (solid copper and clad) gets pressed. And that blank goes all the way to press and into circulation. I myself have one from 1979. Very cool and overlooked error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it is the case here. Odd that you joined today and your first post is on a thread from 3 years ago. But ok

Pillar of the Community
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems JamisonWorrick posted his/her thoughts here in a post three years old. Jamison, please post your coin in a new thread so we can reply directly to you without confusion. The OP's coin IS the victim of environmental post mint damage. We see one of these everyday, or at least 5 or 6 times a week (searching CCF's page will prove this true if in question). I encourage JamisonWorrick to submit his/her coin to a third party grader because sometimes an expensive education is money well spent!

to the CCF, JamisonWorrick! We welcome your thoughts and opinion!

ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
01/21/2021 11:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He does not say he has a coin like that,he is just explaining what he thinks could happen. to CCF JamisonWorrick.
John1
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shaney777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree w/JamisonWorrick that not all missing clad layer error coins are underweight. If a genuine missing clad were to be environmentally damaged, I suspect hardly anyone could identify it.
Facebook COIN OPP mod
Facebook COIN COLLECTING FOR BEGINNERS mod
Facebook Fans Of Lincoln Wheat Cents 1909-1958 admin
Facebook Shield Cent Doubled Dies & Sales mod
Facebook Variety's and Error's plus Tonners &Unique WOODY'S admin

TOCC #FM021
ANA #3205181
Pillar of the Community
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
End of his comment John.

Quote:
I myself have one from 1979. Very cool and overlooked error.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad . I hope he post some good photos of his find.
John1
Learn More...
United States
96073 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 3,232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05