Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881-S Vam? Is it a Vam 6 or Vam 20?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought an 1881-S Morgan at my local coin shop a few days ago, brought it home and decided to see if there was a VAM associated with it. After doing some searching on this website I believe it is either a VAM 6 or VAM 20, but I am a little confused. It has the die chip between the loop on the right side of the first "8" but I cannot see any of the other things that make it a V am 6 or 20. Is it possible that could be all there is, just the die chip? Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wornslick...Every Morgan and Peace dollar is a VAM... VAM is a die description so every one is either a currently known or undiscovered VAM...

die chips around the 8's are fairly common for many Morgan's

the VAM 6 and 20 both share the same obverse die If you post a full obverse and reverse I'll see if I can help you out...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
8566 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures could help but many of the die markers for '81-s are tiny and the die chip in the upper loop of the 8 is very common and even caries into other dates from what I recall without looking...
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to, I have the picture downloaded and it has the green arrow next to it but I am not sure what to do now. Also when I adjust the size to under 300 and click save the picture gets turned crooked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think I got it....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I am getting the hang of this picture posting....

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try VAM 46... tough to tell from pictures but 46 looks close your mint mark appears centered and high
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dollardude, I will go take a look at 46.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dollardude, when you say the mint mark is centered do you mean between the "D and O" of the word dollar?
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look for it to be centered in the gap of the bow above it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, then this MM is a little left of center. I will go and check some other VAM numbers that are mentioned.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The image below is courtesy of Mr. Leroy Van Allen VIA VAMWorld

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what I generally try to do on pictures is take a straight edge of some sort, transparent is best,(I use a coin flip) and lay it from the center of the bow knot to a point centered between the D & O this does two things... makes it easy to see if the MM is left or right and it also reveals "tilting" quite well.
Keep in mind... Like anything with pictures.. variations in the angle the picture was taken from will skew the result.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using the plastic flip as you described then the MM is shifted to the left and tilted the same way. Also the MM is on the high side.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05