Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Medieval Austria Coins Authenticate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 654Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kyp1891 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody knows if these 3 coins genuine ? I am new to the coin collecting. the weight of each is around 1.60 gram. Since it's too thin and light, and doesn't know about its fineness, can't perform the ping test. The dropping sound on floor sounds like silver, I don't know if SG test works for this lightweight coins, but SG comes out around 8.90. The coins detail look OK to me, but not quite sure.
I know these coins are not worth a lot, but any chance that it is counterfeited ?
Thanks for helping me out

Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mayflower2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum! I am not an expert on this specific coin, but they look similar in texture and color to a few small (dime sized) silver coins I have from the same time period. But to answer your question, there is always a chance that anything can be counterfeited. If someone is willing to fake US nickels then anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they were real but I am sure someone more familiar with them will chime in.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the mint marks these appear to be for Silesia.

Upper left: KM 471

Upper right: KM 687 (There are several legend split variations. This matches the legend split for one of my 1708 FN 3 Kreuzer coins.)

Lower: Probably KM 471 (Krause doesn't list the letters, but that is my attribution for my 1695 MWM 3 Kreuzer.)
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kyp1891 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you so much Bjherbison for the valuable information. Those coins come with so many varieties with different mints, and thank you Mayflower2020 as well.
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kyp1891, you have a very nice group of Austrian coins. The method of manufacture seems to elongate them slightly sometimes. I don't see anything that concerns me about the authenticity of these, but as @MF2020 points out, everything is on the table for being faked at this point. If you wanted to pursue this further, you could measure the specific gravity or get confirmation that they actually are silver (e.g. via XRF). Of course these tests are not conclusive either, but would give you some added certainty.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Lithuania
365 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  02:07 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely normal 3 kreuzer coins. These are'nt rare and You can find it in internet by dates 1666, 1675, 1708.
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05