Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Red Wheat Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,853Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add marapaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello members,

I have a 1958 Wheat penny I don't know if it's a red penny. Please advice. Thank you

Mara
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't quite understand your question.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marapaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know there are some red penny worth something is this a red penny?
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was red when it was new. Now it is a brown cent. In that condition, it is worth $0.01.
Learn More...
United States
33709 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a red penny.

The "red" refers to the nice shiny color they are when first minted. I don't know why they don't call it "copper" or maybe "orange", but perhaps it is to distinguish between a shiny new look and the brown look they get from being handled in circulation for a while.

Your coin is also damaged, pitted and worn. Spend it or keep it just because it is a Wheat cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58337 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway -

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6073 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In grading "red" just means that the coin is in its original color; not toned or patinated. Generally a coin must be uncirculated or nearly so to qualify for this designation, and it can significantly add to the value with very old (pre-1920s) bronze coins, as back then collectors would have kept their coins in a desk or other environment where the coins would have been exposed to moisture and/or organics which would eventually cause the coin to turn brown or purple.

Yours is a common, damaged and circulated Wheat cent, and wouldn't be worth the effort to sell individually.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a 1958P Red penny, er, Cent!

Note the upper right corner doesn't say 1P!

Edited by Crazyb0
02/01/2018 3:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note the upper right corner doesn't say 1P!

Neither does the reverse

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15419 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also your Lincoln looks like it was counter stamped . Right side above date .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, that C/s area almost looks like a lamination issue.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at the PCGS site, there is a section called "COINFACTS".
http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/
When you click on that area it will show you coins of what ever year you need to compare with. It shows three grades. Red, Red Brown and brown. On the same site there is a grading guide that is helpful also. From the home page click on resources on the top title bar. On the lower part of the page you see another box below called "Grading resource". Click on Photograde
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
Then find the type of coin you want to search, and there is a grading system that grades according to coin circulation wear from 70 to 1. &0 the best grade, MS (Mint State Range to MS-60) then the circulated grades. But keep in mind if your coin has a scratch/dent/hole in it/edge damage it doesn't qualify. The coin need to be free from blemishes. Other wise it is just a cull. Worth about 90% less than the graded price ranges in other books. You might enjoy it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/01/2018 7:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was red when it was new. Now it is a brown cent. In that condition, it is worth $0.01.

I'd say it's worth a small premium over face, just by virtue of being a Wheat cent. Not a whole lot in that condition - probably somewhere on the order of 5 cents.
Learn More...
United States
33709 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,853Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05