Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 Small Date Lincoln Cent - MS- RD. Can You Help Discern Grade Range?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello- I found this 1960 small date well preserved in a holder. Thinking it is MS64 or better? Has a couple small marks on the forehead, otherwise very clean and red. Can you help me determine the approximate grade. When getting into MS, I am still learning.... Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11444 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to burst your bubble ,but there are numerous hits on this coin and unbearable field scratches on obverse ,he's RB and MS-62 ,in my opinion . Not a coin I would buy .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No bubble burst. I appreciate the candor and the constructive comments. I really appreciate having this forum to educate me. I may make a mistake but not usually twice, so I really do welcome the comments. The lines in the fields I thought were die scratches so I learned a few things. Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40517 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those might be die polishing lines. Overall, 64RD.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they look like die polishing lines not surface scratches - MS64RED sounds about right.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17002 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at 64 Red too. Certainly a keeper.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both. Said die scratches but meant scratches from polishing. There are 3 other coins in the presentation holder 60large date and 60D large and small date. All similar grade. Actually have two of these (8 coins total) so the difference is important in aggregate.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on this I will break them out and reholder in my Saflips to get rid of the staples. Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8711 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64RD. Definitely a keeper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fayette1800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say MS65 RD. Die Polishing lines I would also say. I have quite a few from 1959 and 1960 that have the same look.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for commenting. Although I believe I've learned a lot about the circulated grades, once in mint stage the subtle nuances between each 1-2 grades of 63 to 70 are still difficult for me to discern. i.e. 64 v 65 or 67 v 68
Edited by tryingmybest
02/05/2018 8:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 RD.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05