Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Calling All 1967 Goose Dollar Experts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 5,215Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2008  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
About a year or so ago I bought a Goose dollar, from Germany of all places. I have always harboured a suspicion that it may be a fake. It looks like the pictures I have been able to find, right down to the smallest details, but I have had no luck in finding much information regarding the specifics of the coin, ie. diameter, weight, thickness.

The only real reason I can give for my suspicions is that he had three of them. He said that a relative had bought all of them from Australia a long time ago and he was selling two to buy some other coins.

I paid a price I was happy with in the event it did turn out to be fake, but as I said, I haven't yet been able to confirm or deny my suspicions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will get photos up later tonight.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here are the pics.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOah.. What is that.. Fake or not.. It certainly is impressive..
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justa, when our currency was changing to decimal currency, collectors were looking forward to a dollar coin. When it was announced that there would be none, only notes, the editor of the Australian Coin Review conducted a competition among readers to come up with a design. This coin was the winning design. It was submitted to the government, but was rejected in favour of the note.

The competition organisers decided to have it privately minted. There were 1500 uncirculated coins and 750 plain edge proofs, both in silver, and 10 gold proofs. Unfortunately, two were destroyed in the Ash Wednesday bush fires.

This is my favourite Aussie coin. Perhaps because it didn't make it and now has a sort of "honorary" place in Australian numismatic history.
Edited by latman100
05/27/2008 03:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woah.. How much is it worth?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current Macccas, this one $625, silver proof $750 and gold proof $9000
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must have paid a bomb for this one... Hope its not a fake..
Learn More...
United States
14125 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  07:40 am  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Goose Dollar
was minted in 1967 is is available in three varieties
Uncirculated Silver Milled edge value $625.00 mintage 1500
Proof Silver Plain edge value $750 mintage 750
Proof gold Plain edge value $9000+ mintage 10

Yes I have one

This coin was privately minted

for a more comprehensive history see page 149 of McDonalds
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a proof gold one?
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks ok to me from the pics.
Here is a pic of mine for comparison, I bought a few years back.
It's a proof.

Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found the Link I was looking for, don't know if you have seen it. Not alot of info, however it's a start. There have also been some articles in the old copies of Australian Coin Review, the predecessor to the CAB.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2008  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gnome, your picture is the clearest I have seen to compare mine with. I think mine is genuine, unless a master engraver has copied it, as even the imperfections are present.

If you look at the right side, hard up against the rim, mid-way down the wing, there are "imperfections" for want of a better word. They are there on yours too.

It is the right size, it is definitely silver and it is identical to yours, so I am happy now.
Edited by latman100
05/27/2008 11:46 pm
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2008  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Latman100, I believe that imperfection maybe the designers name, Meszaros, although not completely sure, now.
Yours is a very nice example of the Uncirculated version, and your pics are very good. I think mine is an old scan I had to did up. Haven't gotten around to photographing properly yet.
He also submitted the design for the Canadian Dollar around the same year.
Ours is actually a black swan in flight, and not a goose,although it is known as the goose dollar.
There is more, however, the memory is not what it was.
Valued Member
Australia
301 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2008  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gnome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an added note, 2 of the gold version coins were destroyed in the Ash Wednesday fires, back in about 1981. They were owned by, the then publisher of the Austrialian Coin Review, John Gartner.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3294 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2008  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gnome, I think I remember seeing that holder - did you happen to buy them from Krause Ford (can't remember his exact name) He had a gold version as well.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2008  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gnome, I thought it might be the designers name as well, but if you look at the other side (not sure which is reverse/obverse for this coin), you can see Meszaros' mark. It is right next to the rim, a bit below the 1, an M . From what I have been able to find out, this was the mark he used on a lot of his work.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 5,215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05