Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2010 Loonie Varieties

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Never new this before. (Although you Toonie collectors might.)
Saw this on eBay when scrolling through Canadian Coins.
Apparently there are two types of toonies with the "I" & "A"
pointing to different areas on the denticles.
This supposedly only appears in the NBU sets.

Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1363 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find these coins are both from mint sets?
I'll have to keep a eye open for these
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cownick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There are a few different obverse types but each one is a different dollar. I have not found a mule yet. Are the pictures from the same reverse dollar or two different ones?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are the pictures from the same reverse dollar or two different ones?

This is the way the pictures were on eBay.
I would imagine the two Type 1 pictures are
from one coin and the two Type 2 pictures are
from one other coin.
Edited by JimmyD
02/09/2018 4:59 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you counted the beads on both versions?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought one of each... could be an interesting column article, for the last year of the PL strikes in Ottawa.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is only a picture of the full Obverse of Type 1
so can't do a comparison.
Looking at the pictures supplied though, it appears that
Type 2 has smaller beads.
Maybe another large and small bead variety?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
660 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a set of these off eBay several years ago. They looked to me like a legitimate set of varieties when I examined them. Both coins looked PL. I didn't count the beads though. I ended up selling the set to a collector in my club who has a complete set of loon dollars ever issued.
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I ended up selling the set to a collector in my club who has a complete set of loon dollars ever issued.

To use my favourite quote from the Princess Bride, "Inconceivable!"

After all, there is the unique Montreal Canadiens loon struck in solid gold (mintage of 1 to 3?)

I also have every loon ever struck (offered for sale), but I did not buy the solid gold loons in 2017...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these both PL strikes, specimens, or business strikes?
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present
*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present
*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
660 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After all, there is the unique Montreal Canadiens loon struck in solid gold (mintage of 1 to 3?)

I actually thought of that, but thought no one would notice.

Okay, every loon dollar issued to the public...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TheForce-
As I stated in the first post, they are only available
in the Brilliant Uncirculated (PL) sets.
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Originally posted here, back in 2015...

http://goccf.com/t/231038

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1519 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is some images of the set I have. these coin are very hard to photograph. had to change my lights. trying to get use to these new leds.

Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it me, or are we seeing a near and far beads (relative to the rim) variation here?

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1519 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes spp ottawa. you are right. it is near and far. but that not all what different.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05