Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mythology On Coins. Post Yours...

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 137 / Views: 7,943Next Topic
Page: of 10
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is one of my favorite mythology coins: Greece 1930 5 drachmai with the phoenix.

Quote:
The 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial half dollar marks the 150th anniversary of the town's founding. It features a depiction of Neptune - the god of the sea in Roman mythology - riding a whale; the scene is based on the city's Seal.
Nice examples!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Republique Franšaise
50 Francs.

Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9834 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gratian CONCORDIA AVGGG AE-3 - Rare Type

Concordia is the Roman goddess of harmony.

There are many images of gods and goddesses on ancient coins.
This one is mine and it has nice detail. I only have a handful of ancient coins in my collection. I know very little about them except for information I've learned here on CCF.

Gratian CONCORDIA AVGGG AE-3 - Rare Type
An attractive reverse design struck during the reign of Gratian (367-383 AD). The unusual AVGGG in the reverse design refers to the reigns of Gratian, Valentinian II and Theodosius I. This coin was struck at the Aquileia mint and is slightly different from those struck at the eastern mints. It is also much heavier than those coins.
This is a sharp example, with lots of details on Gratian's hair and an attractive brown patin. It is listed as "Rare" in RIC.
(Diameter: 19 mm. Weight: 3.24 grams)
OB: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right - D N GRATIANVS P F AVG
REV: Concordia, turreted, seated facing, head right, on throne, holding reversed spear in right hand, left hand on knee - CONCORDIA AVGGG
Struck between 378-383 AD at the Aquileia mint, this coin has the mint mark SMAQP and is attributed as RIC, Vol. IX, #33.a.

Thank you Finn235 and Paul Bulgerin CCF members.
Who also supplied information and raw images which I have re-worked.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4942 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin TNG.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1962 Iceland.
2 Krˇnur

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite reverses. Nice coin Dorado.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The commemorative half dollars struck in 1935 and 1936 for the California-Pacific International Exposition - often referred to as the "San Diego" half dollar - feature the Roman goddess Minerva on their obverse.

Minerva is the central figure in the design, surrounded by other design elements that reflect the State of California and its history. Minerva appears to have been a busy and multi-talented goddess. I have seen her referred to as the goddess of wisdom/intelligence, the arts, trade/commerce, war strategy, justice/law, philosophy, medicine, handicrafts and inspiration (and likely others that I've overlooked). Quite a diverse list of responsibilities!

On the coin, however, as it is on the California State Seal on which the coin's design is based, Minerva is symbolic of California becoming a US state without first going through the preliminary stage of being a territory. According to Roman mythology, Minerva was born as a fully-grown adult vs. an infant and thus skipped the awkward "growing up" stage. As such, she is used to represent California's skipping of the prelims and moving straight to the main event - statehood!

The coin was designed by Robert Aitken.

1935-S California-Pacific International Exposition

To learn more about the San Diego half dollar, take a look at:

- 1935 California-Pacific Exposition
- 1935 California-Pacific Exposition - Ephemera
- 1935 California-Pacific Exposition - Coins Depicting Places Thread

For other of my commemorative coin and medal posts, visit: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/23/2021 11:09 am
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1926 Greece.
1 drachma.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Greek goddess Nike, or Winged Victory is the main design element on the reverse of the Texas Independence Centennial commemorative half dollars; the coins were issued from 1934 through 1938.

On the coin's reverse, Winged Victory, with her wings fully spread and looking to her right (viewer's left), is shown kneeling and resting her left arm/hand on Texas' iconic Alamo. In her right hand, she holds an olive branch. Texas' victory over Mexico to gain its independence in 1836 is the inspiration behind the inclusion of Winged Victory in the design.

Pompeo Coppini was the designer/sculptor for the coin. An oft-heard comment/criticism of the coin's reverse is that it is too complicated or too crowded. While Coppini certainly included many elements of Texas history in the design which caused it to be quite "busy," it has become a favorite among many collectors of the series. A case of "Lots included, lots to enjoy!" I suppose.

1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial Half Dollar

If you'd like to learn more about the Texas half dollar, check out:

- 1935 Texas Independence Centennial
- Texas Centennial - There Could Have Been Five!
- Texas Independence Centennial - Post Your Coin Depicting Places Thread
- Texas Independence Centennial - Post Your Coins with Hats Thread

I also have other commemorative coin and medal posts that can be found at: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/24/2021 09:20 am
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1926 Greece. 1 drachma.
Nice example!

Quote:
1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial Half Dollar
Very interesting! Thank you for the new perspective.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The allegorical figure of Lady Justice on the obverse of the 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial half dollar is based on the Greek goddess Dike and/or the Roman goddess Justitia - each is the personification of human justice.

On the coin's obverse, Lady Justice, is depicted holding a balance scale in her upraised left hand while holding a sword, pointed down, in her right hand. The pans of the scale are level, indicating fair and equitable treatment for all under the law. The sword is symbolic of the enforceabilty of the law; it is a double-sided sword which indicates that it will defend and protect either party in a dispute. It is also shown positioned below the scales, which is meant to indicate that the law is enforced after the evidence is weighed and not before.

(Note: The common depiction of Lady Justice wearing a blindfold is a modern addition and does not date to early Greek or Roman mythology. On the coin, Lady Justice is depicted without a blindfold, thus keeping it more aligned with its ancient predecessors.)

Abraham Wolfe Davidson is the artist responsible for the coin's designs.

1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can read more details about the Columbia, SC half dollar, its original holder and various related ephemera by checking out:

- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Ephemera
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - Ephemera #2
- 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial - "Cousin"

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Edited by commems
03/25/2021 10:33 am
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 137 / Views: 7,943Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05