Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coloured coins produced specifically for circulation  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Nearly every year since 2012 the Royal Australian Mint has produced a coloured $2 coin for general circulation.
https://www.ramint.gov.au/two-dollars
Are there any other countries that use coloured circulating coins?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9831 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada has, one of theirs is even a glow in the dark one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6865 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coloured Canadian 25cent coin for circulation was issued in 2004, about sixteen more since then.
Edited by DBM
02/12/2018 01:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13645 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So long as I am able to collect two examples of each type out of circulation at face value as they are issued, I don't mind. Have two of all types of color Two Dollar coins that have been issued for circulation so far.

Do the same with all issued for circulation commemorative coins.
Do this to keep my collector interest 'on the boil'.

Not interested in Bright 'n Shiny NCLT made for collector coins, brightly packaged, and sold at a premium.
I appreciate other collectors who do. NCLT (colorized or not), is the coin dealers' bread and butter. Without NCLT, it would be much harder to have market access to the coins that I am interested in.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13462 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question was are there any OTHER countries besides Canada that makes colorized coins for actual circulation.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
9831 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question was are there any OTHER countries besides Canada that makes colorized coins for actual circulation.

It was are there any other besides Australia.
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if I recall correctly, the Canadian Mint is suing the Australian mint (at leasat for the remberance coins.......http://goccf.com/t/305866
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2298 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 Canada
2 dollars.
1867-2017.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13645 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the RCM will get too far; the Pad Printing process has been around for a long time. The only way RCM would win is if they developed and patented the process.

I legal proceedings happen, the argument would be around intellectual property.
The Chinese would just ignore the lot, and pad print anyway, if there is commercial gain to be had.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9831 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only way RCM would win is if they developed and patented the process.

They did, which is why they started the process of suing. Some out of court settlement will likely happen like the RAM licensing the technology from the RCM
Valued Member
Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Canadian Mint is suing the Australian mint (at least for the remberance coins)

An interesting read ... I hadn't heard about that before!

So am I correct to conclude that Canada and Australia are the only countries with coloured circulating coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9831 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So am I correct to conclude that Canada and Australia are the only countries with coloured circulating coins?

New Zealand and Papa New Guinea do as well. Also this if you count these.

http://news.coinupdate.com/transnis...-coins-4441/

The RCM actually produced the ones for New Zealand and Pap New Guinea.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Transnistria has produced a series of composite material for their 1, 3, 5, 10 ruble coins.
https://en.numista.com/vous/vos_pie...transnistrie
Valued Member
Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New Zealand and Papa New Guinea do as well

Thanks basebal21 ... I'm surprised that I haven't come any of these before!
Learn More...
United States
52345 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some out of court settlement will likely happen like the RAM licensing the technology from the RCM
Or the Queen will step in and make them play nice.

I kid of course. Your prediction is the most likely outcome.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2298 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2015 Canada
25 cents
Remember-Souvenir.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05