Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 penny no mint mark possible error?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  06:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Boatlife to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey just wanting to see if someone with a little more experteise on coins could tell me if this is an error coin or just happened after minting.. On the obverse the letters L and I in liberty are faded and can barely see in God..then the reverse same thing with the lettering,and also not sure if that's a crack or what.. Thanks in advance for any info.

Pillar of the Community
United States
839 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You have a poorly struck cent, probably due to grease filled dies. This explains the missing letters in the motto on the obverse. The reverse, on the other hand, seems to have been scraped somehow. It may have spent some time in a parking lot. The mark through the shield looks like someone used a felt tip marker to draw a sword with a smiley face. That's just my interpretation of the artists rendering.

Your coin is a spender.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boatlife to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback, one day, one day I will find a good error coin.. I do see the smiley face lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
2243 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, struck through grease, but there was never a mintmark on the coin. The coin was struck at the Philadelphia mint and bore no mintmark. The only year to ever feature one was last year, 2017.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! I agree on the grease strike through and felt tip marker. Keep searching!
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree; the lack of a mintmark means nothing compared to the other problems with this coin. It looks more like a penny you'd find spit out of a CoinStar machine.

Now, if this was dated 1922 instead of 2016, well..........we'd have a pretty great discussion.
Edited by atticguy
02/12/2018 09:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22704 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26947 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight of this coin? If it is under weight, that might account for the weak strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boatlife to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody, coop it weighs dead on at 2.5 grams... Thanks again for y'alls time..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26947 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then it is probably a die that got wiped down on the machine with a cloth and transferred the grease around to almost all the outside devices. Not a keeper. JPU (Just-Plain-Ugly)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13462 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a weaker than normal strike. The problem with it being a grease fill is the lack of rims. The press when properly set would create a coin with normal features and rims. If the dies get clogged with grease there is actually more material between the dies than normal and the striking pressure is HIGHER. This tends to form well defined rims. This coin has no rims. On a weak strike the out rim area is the last area to strike up, and that seems to describe this coin.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05