Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

AE unit of King Wazena of Axum (Aksum)  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5719 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I look to expand my collection of coins from the early Middle and Dark Ages, I have found it necessary to cast a pretty broad net. Fortunately, with threads like these:

http://goccf.com/t/254531
http://goccf.com/t/7552
http://goccf.com/t/141660

I was inspired to chase down a coin from the ancient Ethiopian kingdom of Axum. At first, I started biding on an AU unit, but was pretty quickly bid over my maximum. Then I noticed that there were several available on vcoins if I was just looking to check this box on my OFEC list, but then this particular coin caught my eye at auction due to the reasonably clear devices and the seemingly original gold inlay on the rev.

This AE unit was minted under the authority of King Wazena and tentatively dates to between 525 and 550 AD. The obv inscription translates from Ge-ez to "King WZN", while the rev inscription translates from Ge-ez to "He who is fitting for the people". I have it attributed as Munroe-Hay 119 and BMC Aksum 415.

"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Edited by Spence
02/12/2018 9:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done, Dave. I've liked the coins of Axum for a long time...Noob/Nate is probably responsible for that. Yours is an attractive example. I admired it in the Album auction.
Learn More...
United States
20729 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very interesting series which I have been wanting to explore also, but the coins tend to be very expensive which has stopped me. Nate has offered to sell me his gold coin, but it's too rich for my blood.

Congrats on getting a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5719 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. You are right that this is all @ancientnoob's fault; maybe he should sell Ron his coin at a discount for the damage that he has done.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Learn More...
United States
20729 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4277 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb example! I've passively looked at Axumite coinage since seeing Nate's posts, but those are expensive little coins. The gold inlays has always been a point of fascination for me, hover... I wonder how that was expected to impact the value?

I also like the Ge'ez script on this one! I knew they sacked Himyar around 550, but I didn't expect them to ditch Greek so soon after!
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5719 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the positive comments Steve. Some Axumite coins (like @sap's) include inscriptions in both Ge-ez and Greek.

Quote:
The gold inlays has always been a point of fascination for me, however... I wonder how that was expected to impact the value?

The only information that I have found about the little spot of gold in the cross is this (quoted directly from @quant-geek at numista.com):

#8203;
Quote:
There have been a lot of study on the Axumite gilding process and why they gilded their coins. There are varying theories, but nothing concrete. As the number of gold coins decreased, some speculate that it was to increase the value of the copper and silver coins by gilding important religious icons on the coin. This also was extended to the crown of the King. Others speculate that it was purely decorative as several religious items have been found that was gilded.

Finally, in researching the answer to your question, I stumbled upon another Axumite coin previously posted on CCF:

http://goccf.com/t/72925

Sorry about the previous omission @jeff11!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
546 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Spence...Didn't know anything about these coins!

Thanks for enlightening me..I really like the obverse style..

What's the description?

Congrats and thanks for sharing..

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5719 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, ok yes sorry that I didn't provide that detail. According to Wildwinds, the obv design element is a portrait of King Wazena:

Quote:
draped bust right in headcloth, holding grain ear
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05