Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018-D Lincoln cents, mark on reverse

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  07:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up a few 2018-D's and found one with some tracks on the back. Your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Steve
Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23737 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some type of worn die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to find another one. It could be a die that had clash issues.One more would give you more information, and a little more corroboration. Bill.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bluedogcards to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it kinda of cool the 2017 had the same problem, I never heard what it was,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31881 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the obverse rim look like? Also what is the weight? Normal would be 2.5 Grams.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does the obverse rim look like? Also what is the weight? Normal would be 2.5 Grams.

I'll check in a few hours when I get home and post both sides for pictures
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31881 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that will help me see what is going on with your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14337 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought is "Where is the rim?"
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
9933 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder, no rim offset, but what ever it is extends into the design fields of the die face. Reminds me of the alignment "teeth" of the die edge...an offset die clash w/o a die in place perhaps?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found some other ones with marks in the same spot.
Edited by shotgung
02/13/2018 7:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31881 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the ridge ring took out the rim on the reverse. The reverse if the hammer die on this one.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
1694 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with all those who've concluded that this is die deterioration.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:02 am  Show Profile   Check JDRMCB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure does look similar to this......

http://www.error-ref.com/stutterstrike-a/
It's time to take that "leap of faith" with your portfolio and move into "Tangible Assets"!
Take physical possession of your hard earned life savings before the inevitable and undoubtedly the largest market correction in history happens and you find yourself waking up broke one morning in the very near future!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9933 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it doesn't. A stutter strike is a replication of the existing details. This isn't. I still don't see it as die deterioration as Mike said, but what else? (BTW, just who wrote the info on "stutter strike?)
Edited by Crazyb0
02/14/2018 12:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23737 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still don't see it as die deterioration as Mike said

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05