Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black Beauty Jefferson Nickel Q's  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1ofsixteen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, Apologies for not introducing myself before now.I am from England. I am no Numismatic nor am I a serious collector reason being I realised years ago that it was/is a rich mans game & with 16 children I am anything but! lol, I have been collecting the 50ps of the Olympics etc, a friend of mine recently inherited his Aunts coins & he asked me if I could look through them for him, there are quite a few US coins/notes (mostly modern) amongst the many coins/notes etc & I think one may be what you call a Black Beauty, it's a 1979 Jefferson quarter dollar, would it be ok for me to upload a picture and hopefully someone would advise me please? I also have a few odd Lincoln pennies etc.
Many thanks in advance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21184 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The black beauty is a Jefferson nickel 5 cent piece. Post pics please in appropriate sections.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gratefuldad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would suggest taking some quality pics and post each coin individually to save from things getting confused and cluttered.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22702 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us pics!

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1235 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3483 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd bet you dollars to donuts, that if you treated it as a pocket piece,

the devices would turn silver colored. The fields would remain black.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the funny farm!

Here is some info that may help to determine if it is or is not. I suspect it is not due to the date, Black Beauties are not known much past the 60's at most, generally only 1955, 1958 and 1959 Jefferson nickels.

http://goccf.com/t/288744
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05