Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help identifying ancient copper / bronze coin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
Came across this just recently. Not many distinguishing marks. Can tell its a high % copper if not pure copper. Any opinions welcome! Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a GLORIA EXERCITVS type, "Glory of the Army" featuring two soldiers with one army standard. Here's a handy quick reference page on the type:

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/030/030i.htm

I can make out SMANT beneath the standard, so it's from the Antioch mint. The flan is too small to capture the emperor's name, so it's probably not certainly attributable. This type was first issued by Constantine I and continued by his three sons Constantine II, Constantius II, and Constans, plus their cousin Delmatius. Delmatius is scarcer because he was killed to consolidate power - yours ends in AVG so it isn't him at any rate.

It's not a valuable coin, but yours has a really nice portrait compared to most.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
3392 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's not a valuable coin, but yours has a really nice portrait compared to most.

But I wonder if that disturbed area at the top of the reverse is indicative of its once having been mounted for use as jewelry....

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7882 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
disturbed area at the top of the reverse is indicative of its once having been mounted for use as jewelry

I was thinking the same thing. @enzeno, is there any chance that you could post a close-up pic of the back of the coin at the top?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the same thing about it being in jewelry. This coin was removed from a pressure only bezel, the kind that uses a screw at the top to hold the coin in. The fresh pink copper marks make me think that maybe at some point it was welded into a piece of jewelry potentially, like a welded loop. Unfortunately I do not have possession of the coin any more as I just took pictures for a customer. I do have a high resolution original though, I will try and get that pic and zoom in and post and see if that helps.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And of course I forget to thank everyone for their responses. I really do appreciate it.
enzeno
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05