Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Attribution help needed for 1795 Large Cent!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
116 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am having trouble attributing this 1795 Large Cent because of the lack of details visible on the coin, but I am hoping that there might be someone more advanced that might be able to attribute the Large Cent correctly anyway. I have to use my scanner for the photos, so I am not able to give you a photo of the edge of the coin. I can tell you the edge has the same severe porosity as the rest of the coin, which is too bad because I think when this coin was first lost it had VF+ details that faded because of the environmental damage.

The seller I purchased this Large Cent from thinks it is the Lettered Edge variety for 1795. I cannot make out any letters myself, but they could be there just camouflaged by the porosity. I compared the coin to my other 1795 Large Cents, and I noticed that the coin is about 33% thicker than my three 1795 Plain Edge Large Cents. However, it seems thinner than my four 1794 Large Cents, which all have lettered edges of course. I have never seen a 1795 Lettered Edge Large Cent up close, so I am not sure how thick of a planchet was used to make them. Under a 60X loop, I just see metal bubbles from the porosity on the edge. There are a few places that could have letters as these areas are rougher. Using a regular magnifier, the date of the coin is visible, but faint. Under higher resolution only the 5 can be seen clearly. So, I am thinking the letters might be there, but just garbled by the porosity. Also, under lower magnification, the edge of the coin appears to be reeded. Under high magnification the edge just looks corroded.

Any help would be appreciate. If I can determine the Sheldon Number, then it might help me identify rather it has a plain edge, lettered edge, or reeded edge. Thanks.

Edited by pasasap
02/13/2018 4:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1432 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used a high powered light to just reflect the surface of the coin. It appears to me the L in LIBERTY is touching the Cap and the I is centered with the denticle above. I am using photos on largecents.com to compare with, and only S-76 and S-77 are two possibilities. S-76 comes in plain or Lettered Edge. I have now ruled out Reeded Edge as being one of the possibilities. However, it could still be Lettered Edge.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could make out leaves just under the F in OF on the reverse side, so it has to be S-77 Plain Edge. Let me know if you disagree.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13815 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I see I can agree with S-77. The S-77 has been reported to sometimes be seen on "heavy " planchets of around 10.9 grams that seem to be about halfway in thickness between the plain edge and lettered edge coins.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an S-77 to me.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05