Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kennedy half dollar - anyone ever see this before?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Topekaguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

Check out this half dollar, albeit I am new to this, I have not come across this before. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Edited by Topekaguy
02/13/2018 4:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1710 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is called a pocket piece, it has spent, lot's of time in one's pocket.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15668 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That doesn't appear to be typical circulation rub.

I'm not a Kennedy collector, so hopefully someone can comment on the likelihood that such wear is consistent with circulation of any variety.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it is from normal circulation, but from being a pocket piece.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topekaguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10.91g
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10711 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There’s graded lowball kennediys on eBay. That looks like someone tried to create a lowball, doesn’t really look like a pocket piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27369 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1670 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do agree that there seems to be odd wearing of this coin, kennedy is too prominent compared to the wear of the legends, or even of the eagle on the other side. I cannot discount the pocket piece theory, however another would be possible grease filled dies.

or perhaps someone " manufactured" the wear.

For a 1997 coin this is not normal circulation wear for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A copper-nickel coin does not erode this much, especially one this young (only 21 years old). If it were silver, yes, but not copper-nickel.

I can't figure out how this happened, other than someone trying to create a bizarre-looking coin with unusual implements.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8445 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surfaces appear to be pitted... some time in a sandblasting chamber perhaps?
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topekaguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All,

This is really intriguing, I took the liberty of taking a couple of new photos using an inversion technique that will show a bit more detail. I am really interested in finding out what this is.

Edited by Topekaguy
02/13/2018 10:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks deliberately worn (tumbler maybe?) and then tooled. Somebody's experiment. On a side note, I have trouble believing there are any Kennedy lowballs that aren't artificial.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10711 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On a side note, I have trouble believing there are any Kennedy lowballs that aren't artificial.

Most were pocket pieces, or some of the wear was from being one which is fine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with it being a pocket piece is we forget how hard the Copper-Nickel alloy of clad coins is. It takes a long, long time to wear down - even most 1965 quarters, which have been in circulation for over 50 years aren't that worn.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4972 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a pocket piece to me.

Quote:
The problem with it being a pocket piece is we forget how hard the Copper-Nickel alloy of clad coins is. It takes a long, long time to wear down - even most 1965 quarters, which have been in circulation for over 50 years aren't that worn.

Please see this link:

https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/my.../72197/17570
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.99 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05