Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 CC Morgan Silver Dollar, I seem unable to crack this one.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1884 CC Morgan silver dollar, I seem unable to attribute this one.
Particularly interesting is the raised area under the second 8, also a die chip above and to the right of the mint mark.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If any other close up shots of specific areas are needed just let me know.
Thanks

Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add messydesk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen that before. The mint mark position looks like VAM 7 or 10, but the dot by the 2nd 8 would have me weighing this coin. If it's fake, it's a pretty good one. Are there any die cracks around the periphery that match anything on VAMWorld?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1432 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert by any means but this coin looks like a fake to me. The rim does not look right pretty much all the way around but especially @ 4, 6, and 8 o'clock. It looks like these are areas where the casting didn't take and was polished down. . As I said, I am no expert, this is just my honest opinion. Hopefully the experts will chime in with some knowlegable answer/advice.
My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!

If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Porsche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks good to me.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all so far.
Weight was dead on, Silver content verified with Olympus XRF.

So if it's fake, it is the exact weight and purity of true Morgan dollars.
@messydesk I'll double check on any die cracks when I get back at it tomorrow. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@toot
Also the black on the rim is very dark toning.
Not done at the mint.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several VAMs that are listed for "DOTS" None are currently listed for the 1884CC... this very well could be a new "discovery" piece...

I would suggest consider sending the coin to Leroy Van Allen for his review and possible listing as a new VAM.

Instructions for doing this can be found on the VAMworld web site... (Hurry, as stated in other posts here that site is scheduled to move sometime this summer... but that does not effect Mr. Van Allen's work)

Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are several VAMs that are listed for "DOTS" None are currently listed for the 1884CC... this very well could be a new "discovery" piece...

I would suggest consider sending the coin to Leroy Van Allen for his review and possible listing as a new VAM.

Instructions for doing this can be found on the VAMworld web site... (Hurry, as stated in other posts here that site is scheduled to move sometime this summer... but that does not effect Mr. Van Allen's work)

I appreciate the insight, I will consider sending it to him, I just have to remember where I put it...
It's around my office here somewhere I am sure...
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of things. The "dot" under the second 8 could be a planchet bubble. Note the smaller "dot" above the m/m. In the full coin shots, I "think" I see other "dots". My first suspicion would be included gas bubbles in the planchet. Keep in mind that the 84-CC has been studied extensively by John Roberts who is the expect attributor at ANACS. if there was a "dot" under the 8 in a die, likely he would have identified it by now. So my suggestion would be to send it to ANACS for Variety Attribution first, and pay the fee to do so.

That being said, I would suggest NOT sending it to Leroy Van Allen right now. His wife has medical issues, and much of his time right now is taken by caring for her. He is woefully behind in issuing his Annual Supplement, let alone behind on folks submissions.

Just my two cents.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05