Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-S Long Nock (B1) Reverse, opinions? * New Scope Pictures *  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6798 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  6:11 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin wasn't drawing much attention on the Bay, so I was able to snap it up for not much money when I saw the reverse photo. Even with the seller pictures, it looks like an 1878-S long nock to me, and would be an upgrade condition-wise over my other two examples, both of which have major problems.

I'm leaning towards V56 or V58 based on the MM but can't really tell much about the eye or other PUP's from the pictures. Any thoughts?

I'll do my own pictures & scope photos whenever it shows up.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2720 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You weren't the only one interested in this one. I had it on my watch list from day one, but I had to do a roof repair on a leaking roof and then transition to my grandson's 8th birthday party ... it was over and done before I had a chance to enter a bid. Glad you got it.

I downloaded the pictures and enhanced them (lightened and bumped the contrast) to see if I could spot the eye boogers on the van 56 or 58 ... I didn't see any. I think you missed another possibility ... VAM 72. That was my hope on this one and I hope it is. That would be a great score for $33 and change! Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6798 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call, SeatedNut! I saw it entirely by chance. I usually check every non-slabbed 78 & 78S listing to start with, but I've been lazy lately.

I already have a 56 and 57 so a 72 would be nice! Still looking for that oh-so-elusive Broken D in the wild though.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
02/26/2018 10:32 am
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the little chip above the "foot" of the "L" in Pluribus (next to the denticle) that chip is present on 3 long nock VAMs 26, 57, and 60... based on the mint mark I would rule out 60... that leaves 57 and 26 I am leaning toward 26....

Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please help the uninformed understand what a "long nock" is.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you cannot tell by the MM or if the eye is too "gunked up" have a look at the eagles right wing feather (next to the leg) see if it is engraved to a fuller feather or not.... BTW it's always nice to find a long nock in the wild! congrats!
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the center point of the arrow where it would attach to the string.. the "nock" is longer than others on some of the 1878 Morgans (Philly and San Fran)
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I tried to blow the pics up a bit... the get real fuzzy real fast... I am pretty sure it is a VAM 57... based on the MM position... kind of tough to tell but I would say I am 80% on the VAM 57 based on these pics...
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please help the uninformed understand what a "long nock" is.

the center point of the arrow where it would attach to the string.. the "nock" is longer than others on some of the 1878 Morgans (Philly and San Fran)

to be clear ... for the most part when you hear VAM collectors talking about Long Nocks... they generally are talking about those from the 1878 San Fran mint... Philly does have some long nocks as well but those do not seem to carry the "prestige", "rarity", or "premium" of those from San Francisco....
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Examples below from VAMworld definitions page

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6798 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's add some scope photos. 20x mag through a 30.5mm aperture.

Eyelid

Mint mark position

Olive

Arrow nock

Upper tail feathers (UTF)

Lower tail feathers (LTF)

Obverse right star #4 (S4)

N, E, and D in UNITED

Date position

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6798 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two unique 26/57/60 eye markers are there. There is no extra metal above the feathers which rules out 60, leaving only 26 and 57. The crack is faint, but present, at AT in STATES, as well as a bit of the die chips under the MM, which leads me towards VAM 57 as the attribution.

A 60 would be nice but I've never seen one in the wild, or even slabbed outside of VW, but I'm okay with a 57.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8248 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any '78-S long nock is a nice cherry! Well played Adam...
Member SSDC
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05