Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is this 1853 Maximilian II coin worth?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  02:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gslittlebit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this coin for awhile and figured it was time to see if it was worth saving all this time. Any info is appreciated.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
12935 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  03:03 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please review the forum section descriptions, so posts are made in the correct section.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gslittlebit It looks like a 2 thaler 1853,Bavaria,Maximilian II, KM#456.Your coin is not really appealing unfortunately, therefore I'm not going to try to grade it or estimate it's value.You should wait for some more opinions anyway!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gslittlebit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you say it is not appealing?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paulCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gslittlebit For a 19 century thaler that's not rare or low mintage it needs to be at least AU/UNC to be desirable/appealing!That's only my opinion and I like to believe I know what I'm saying!
Edited by paulCT
03/11/2018 09:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1409 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do you say it is not appealing?

Harshly cleaned, taking away from eye appeal. These are commonly available so should be easier to improve on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
657 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Similar coin, lower grade but not cleaned that sold recently for $137.50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMANY-BA...AOSweBtakhlO

Again, same type, different date, not cleaned, went for 170 eu recently at an auction
https://www.coinarchives.com/bf28f1...age03847.jpg

ANother currently for sale at $239, better eye appeal
https://internumi.com/en/maximilian...ar-aunc.html

Maybe you've already found these other results ... At least they give an indication of value of yours, which sounded like your question.

Edited by tdziemia
03/12/2018 8:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6813 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doppelthalers are scarce in any condition, but the market is limited by the damage inflicted upon the coin by whomever cleaned it -- that being said, many old thalers found their way into jewelry settings and were subject to frequent polishing to keep them shiny.

Numismatic value is low and not many collectors would be interested since it is not a particularly rare type. I'd value it around US $40-$60 as is and it may be a difficult sell at that price due to the impaired surfaces.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gslittlebit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the info.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05