Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1797 Large Cent - Another One For The First Page

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this on off of eBay. My second 1700's coin ever. Makes number 4 for the 1st page of the Whitman Large Cent album.
It's counter stamped but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It's actually pretty fun trying to put this date set together on a limited budget, finding the best example with the lowest price is challenging. Here's also pics of the 4 1st pagers....

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good.

I'm beginning to get fond of early large cents too.
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
4406 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
! It's a great feeling seeing those holes slowly fill up, isn't it? Beating the bushes and snagging the ones you like and want on a limited budget is really satisfying. !
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13178 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pick-up. The starbursts give your new coin some extra character.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6997 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely set starting to come together
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41499 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is the grade level that you intend to collect at for these early issues - that is, damaged or extremely worn coins - then it makes sense. Such coins can be difficult to sell if you find yourself wanting to upgrade in the future.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a great coin, Mark! Do you have "A Guide Book of Half Cents and Large Cents" by Q. David Bowers? I've been poring over it for the last 15 minutes or so, trying to figure out which variety you have. I think the obverse is the one Sheldon calls "Closest Date." Not sure which reverse, though - there are four with that obverse. I wonder what the history is behind that countermark?
Edited by RubyOpal
03/10/2018 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the new pickup, bro! But what is that starburst from? I'm guessing it's a counterstamp of some sorts but who, what and where is it from?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope Exoguy sees this thread. He might be able to identify it.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8239 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big die bulge (swelling) and crack behind the ribbon is characteristic of Sheldon's S-139. It starts out as a slight triangular break (from the bottom of the leftmost lower curl to the rim at K8, and from the rim at K8 to the hair about halfway below the ribbon) with a bit of swelling, and in the late stages the swelling and fully developed crack obliterate the back of the hair.

It's a common variety (R2) but the die break tends to attract attention!

The grade is Good, with the usual reverse die swelling and some light even porosity, the color attractive light brown and steel grey; the countermark doesn't add to the value unless ExoGuy or someone else can attribute it.

Finding 1797 cents in any condition is tough, and even examples with problems are expensive, with problem-free coins rarely coming on the market and bringing multiples of "book" price when they do. So I would consider this a good pickup and "hole filler."
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Learn More...
United States
77436 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15847 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
paralyse nailed it. S-139 die stage V. Very late stage probably close to terminal.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3533 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope Exoguy sees this thread. He might be able to identify it.

Thanks for the recognition, guys. I just stumbled upon this thread. Sorry to report that, although I've seen these stamps before (so-called starburst), I'm unable to offer an attribution. I will say that these stamps may well have had some purpose, other than advertising. Perhaps, they were markers or checks of some sort?

It's been estimated that, just prior to the Civil War, between 10-20% of the coins in circulation had some counterstamp or another thereupon. Large cents were by far THE most abused host coins. My own collection includes over a thousand counterstamped large cents.

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for your replies and information - sorry I didn't get back sooner but pretty busy these days working on my parents house!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is the grade level that you intend to collect at for these early issues

This is the "grade level" that my pockets can afford.
Learn More...
United States
77436 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the "grade level" that my pockets can afford.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05