Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New member from downunder  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
172 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  11:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
have some coins but trying to get in to the game any sugguestion on what to collected for beginners?
Learn More...
United States
12935 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin sets built from circulation is a good place to start, since the coins are readily available and not too expensive to save.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Valued Member
Australia
172 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thought about building from circulation, already have some but I dont think it is thats wide enough range especially in the australian market. However I looked at international coins and it feels too broad a group.

Also can you give some advice on Proof items as I feel that only a good dealer or direct from mint is the best choice for these items as eBay and private sale/auctions should be avoided?
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. I get a lot of my stuff online, some from eBay. I've never had a problem except one time. I hadn't read the feedback before I ordered. I should have. It would have saved some headaches. So if you're careful, you should be fine.
Valued Member
Australia
172 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the advice owatchman.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tp CCF!

Pick something you think you like and give it a try. If it doesn't hold your attention for long, try something else. Popular topics are favorite animals or objects (trains).

Or what's called OFEC (One From Every Country) - there is a Yahoo! group called "Everycountry" that has a checklist going back to the beginnings of coin issuance - you can filter by years to create your checklist.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
58086 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4324 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
Australia
172 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BStrauss3 so it doesn't really matter what it is as long as I focus on something that interests me.

An eBay question would something like this be faked
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-1-oz-...152922190017
and why would NGC take the coin out of original capsule?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-AUSTR...AOSwqjpapXVb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Australia-...172328564931

i am guessing these are all fakes there are sooooooo many. If say I wanted to sell mines which is real how do I show good proof that it is REAL, is there any standard?

like I have noticed that the prices of these can range widely (normal proof I know there is a frost proof version), so prices cant be used as an indicator of authenticness what can you use if their feedback count is on the low side or should be like not picture no deal kind of thing?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why? Money of course... somebody (probably a dealer, slabbing 1000s of coins) paid to have them encapsulated in the NGC slab. The game there is that the 70s sell for a lot of money and the 69s are breakeven at best. If you get a good ratio, you make money (remember, bulk grading is widely reported to cost dealers $5/coin)

How do you show it's real? The TPG's answer is "have it slabbed, we'll check it and our slab is the guarantee" (that you pay extra for this service is left off the equation - but of course you are going to want to get your cost + slabbing fees back when you sell, so you are hoping for a 70).

I honestly doubt there are that many fakes of a bullion coin out there. But certainly a lot of people trying to sell an ounce of silver for 5x melt because it's a shiny proof or 'special' reverse proof.

Certainly you can protect yourself a bit by sticking to established sellers with large feedback #s and few negatives. If you were the new guy trying to sell, you would say that's unfair, but how else to tell?

Do remember that # minted is only part of the equation - demand is the other. Why else does an 1909S VDB Lincoln (mintage 484,000) sell for more than an 1864 Three Cent silver (mintage 12,000) in EVERY grade? Demand.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14441 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good and inexpensive way to start, is to take the best condition possible commemorative coins of all denominations from circulation, for face value.

I have about 200 types.

Some are tempted by bright and shiny proof silver NCLT coins, but I have almost never been tempted, except when I am lucky enough to obtain them at close to bullion value.

You can always go down the track of building a penny set from dealers' junk boxes, many have done that.

I was lucky enough to get into Australian gold coins in my teen years, but that is another story - I had a fairly substantial income from work at that time, working for my father, from about 12 years old.

Australian silver coins can be a little more expensive, but I started collecting inexpensive World coins from about 30 years old, because most of my spare money went into a mortgage, although I introduced myself to ancient coins after a lot of reading beforehand.

What you may be interested in, will be largely influenced by your budget.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3894 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1755 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3677 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from England!

You could go for a type set of English copper and bronze coins from George III to Edward VII - representing coins that would have circulated in Australia before 1911. Many of them should be available fairly cheaply, and, if you get hooked, you could start trying to complete one of the reigns by date.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14441 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The British coinage system in Australia was finally and firmly established in 1825, when a large supply of freshly minted British silver was received from The Royal Mint and landed at Sydney Cove, for release into general circulation.

It is from this date that all British coins from 1825 until 1910 for silver and gold, and 1911 for bronze, can be considered as part of Australian coinage history.

Generally, only the half sovereign circulated in Australia. That is why Australian minted half sovereigns are scarcer, and are found in poorer condition for the earlier dates.

The sovereign was more used as a store of wealth by the local population, from 1820 until 1914, as well as for overseas bullion payments.

Collect anything British 1825 to 1911, and anything minted in Australia up the the latest issues of decimal coinage, that are within your budget.

I once had a complete type set of 17 of Australian minted gold coins, long since sold.
Currently, I am collecting two examples of the best condition obtainable, of any commemorative coin, any denomination, that I can take out of circulation, at face value.

That's opposite ends of the budget scale for you!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05